Flex shaft grease?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Marine grease from NAPA works great never had an issue with it. Make sure you lube the shaft every time you go to the pond/lake. (sorry sounds dirty I did not mean it to)

Aqau Craft Grim Racer shaft grease works awesome. I've been using it for a couple of years now and works great. You can order at Tower Hobbies and have it delivered right to your door.

Robert Holland

Any high temp wheel bearing grease can be used as long as its water resistant. Green grease from auto zone is my choice.

I use very light weight #2 Lubriplate Special Marine Grease (LO206-001) & the miniature grease gun in the photo. The cable is never removed except for inspection & three pumps before each run insures more than adequate lubrication. The grease nipple clamps to the double walled stuffing box with an aluminum mount. The black bellows swells up telling me enough grease has been pumped in. The teflon seal inside the bellows is made in two pieces with the inside piece rotating with the cable. No messy cables to grease before each days run, no lack of lubrication problems at the end of the day & no rust anywhere on the cable.

Jim Allen

Question Jim, do you not remove your cables before your vessels go up on the shelf? Question 2 to all. I love to fish, Im not a tree hugger, though I do think we need to preserve nature. Of these lubricants which ones are less harmful to the marine life? Seems like they could use some type of "Green" lubricant.

Last edited:
Question Jim, do you not remove your cables before your vessels go up on the shelf? Question 2 to all. I love to fish, Im not a tree hugger, though I do think we need to preserve nature. Of these lubricants which ones are less harmful to the marine life? Seems like they could use some type of "Green" lubricant.
What would be the reason for removing the cable? In more than seven years of cable use in the same hydro I have never had a cable break but I did change the cable once before because of no particular reason. The stuffing box is the same as well as the strut bushing.

The lubricant that would be the least harmful is castor oil. Any lubricant used will always go down the cable to the strut bushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the marine grease, grim racer, prather, and lubriplate. All seem to work just fine and about the same, (all in tunnels) but one thing I did find out. If you use lubriplate with a teflon flex liner, it will melt the liner :(

What would be the reason for removing the cable? In more than seven years of cable use in the same hydro I have never had a cable break but I did change the cable once before because of no particular reason. The stuffing box is the same as well as the strut bushing.

The lubricant that would be the least harmful is castor oil. Any lubricant used will always go down the cable to the strut bushing.
DING DING.... me loves castor for the O/B's

Some suggest removing the and hanging them up straight. I guess so the cable doesnt " remember the curve"

Back