Flex shaft bend

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patmccoy

After looking at the title I started with, I must hope your mind is on my RC boat.

I have an old 42" deep V mono hull that I am installing a .80 OPS nitro motor in. Some think that the motor may be too large. Hope to find out this year.

I would think that the best bend in the flex shaft is none at all, however I can't get that. If at the back of the boat if I am bending the shaft to straighten out the prop will it be acceptable. I am not sure what RPM this may turn? I don't know a great deal about this other than I work on it for a wile and then get distracted with a honey do list from the better half. When I get back to it I look at something and decide I don't like it so I start over again. I have changed radios already. I have changed other items as well.

Back to the question, is there a general rule as to if it is bent this far it will break or break something else?

Help please?

Pat

Just make the bend as gradual as possible and you will be fine. There will always be a bend otherwise we would run solid shafts...

first off,,,welcome to intlwaters,,,... as to your question.... flex can run a perdy significant bend with out failure... the gradual bend is where its at as blackout stated... typically, if you run the shaft perfectly straight,,,you will end up with cable whip... this will soak up gobbs of power and for sure make the shafts break alot...an "s" bend works very well... prohibits cable whip....

just a couple examples of how far a flex can bend and run safely,,,,,, take a look at the k&b lowers,,, severe arc in those shafts,,,and they work.... your local cable driven weed wacker... proly a 70° sweep at the end of that baby,,,works mint...your dremel tool snake,, wand,what ever you call it,,,you can sweep a 360 circle and it still spins just fine... the flex was designed for this reason,,,,, to work around bends and corners....

your in no matter how you run it,,,just use easy sweeps,,,and dont run it straight...

alden

first off,,,welcome to intlwaters,,,... as to your question.... flex can run a perdy significant bend with out failure... the gradual bend is where its at as blackout stated... typically, if you run the shaft perfectly straight,,,you will end up with cable whip... this will soak up gobbs of power and for sure make the shafts break alot...an "s" bend works very well... prohibits cable whip....

just a couple examples of how far a flex can bend and run safely,,,,,, take a look at the k&b lowers,,, severe arc in those shafts,,,and they work.... your local cable driven weed wacker... proly a 70° sweep at the end of that baby,,,works mint...your dremel tool snake,, wand,what ever you call it,,,you can sweep a 360 circle and it still spins just fine... the flex was designed for this reason,,,,, to work around bends and corners....

your in no matter how you run it,,,just use easy sweeps,,,and dont run it straight...

alden
Pat......listen to this guy............he's PERDY GOOD!! :lol: :lol:

alden

lol.... i kinda picked that one up from ole j-dubs (jw) ,,, its PERDY catchy......lol.....

alden

lol.... i kinda picked that one up from ole j-dubs (jw) ,,, its PERDY catchy......lol.....
Yeah!........I LIKE it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back