Exhaust throttles

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran them back in the 70s on just about everything including scale. There pretty much a on/off switch. I watched a scale race out here a week ago and the guy's are really into crawling up to the start. It would not be to good for that kind off stuff. :) Greg

When I ran one way back when it made a huge mess in the boat and it wasn't very fond of shutting off.

:blink: Make messy oil spill over hull&cowling. :eek: Really awful so Have to clean up :unsure: it is not worth for scale because the body scale is very expensive paint. :rolleyes: Do you decide to choice one Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well........................ I fall into the class of being a card table boater.

I used to run Piccos before the EXR's. In fact, I have never owned an EXR. Carbs were always my downfall.

I liked exhaust throttles. Yes, they are not as clean but you crank the needle until it was right. No low end and no high end. Most all of my motors used Rossi drums on those Piccos. You couldnt edge up to the line but they had good throttle response. They sometimes would leak also and it took the drag of the prop to shut the motor down. Fine for a scale but tougher with a mono.

I have been running K motors for quite some time and I have been doing fine and will continue to run them.

I have had a Green Head CMB sitting on the shelf for quite some time so I am taking that motor and setting it up with an exhaust throttle. I got an adapter from Lenny Blake of Rum Racing Products to slide on the XXL exhaust throttle and an adapter from him to put an XXL venturi with a K&B needle on the intake. The needle hole is drilled out with a 53 bit as those needles never let in enough fuel in the old days. I will have an Irwin 90 quiet pipe for the exhaust but will have my old reliable Muck pipe just in case.

This is a 1977 chisel nose Oh Boy! Oberto wood hull.

I am painting the cowl right now and hopefully the boat will be done the end of this month for testing.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Do I think that I will do better than if I was to use an OS 9B carb on the CMB. Nope............ its just that the parts were here and I always liked exhaust throttles because I was terrible at adjusting carbs.

Thanks, Al Waters

Has anyone tried exhaust throttles in a scale boat?? Your thoughts please!!
Brett,

I haven't used these devices in a scale boat, but I have used them with a great deal of sucess in oval racing boats. The throttle bodies were made of steel with very closely fitted steel or brass baffels. One side of the throttle body was completely closed with an internal snap ring to hold the throttle baffle in place. They were also coupled to a barrel type fuel mettering carburetor, which gave unusually good throttle control.

Jim :) :) :)

Hi Brett im using a Prather one in my atlas van lines with a K & B 45 , its easy enough to use and tune ... but the messy sludge is incredible!!!! if your gonna use one make sure you can clean in front of the venturi easily..

i doubt i would use one in a scale boat for that reason.....

i have been using exhaust throttles since the mid 80's and will continue to use them they do make a mess but the boat needs to be cleaned after the day anyways. i do have one on my picco .67 in my mto scale boat and works fantastic.

Back