Epoxy Hydro Pin holes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

Ok I finally have all the pin holes filled on the top of my hull and now I am looking at the bottom. Should I even bother filling in the bottom pin holes? Someone told me not even to paint the bottom but I figured I would ask here to be sure.

Ok I finally have all the pin holes filled on the top of my hull and now I am looking at the bottom. Should I even bother filling in the bottom pin holes? Someone told me not even to paint the bottom but I figured I would ask here to be sure.
id just fill them on the running surface and big holes otherwise nah

I need to fill some but my hull has been painted ...any suggestions on what to use.It will be painted again..

Terry

I am using Wall Spackle, yes wall Spackle. Phil Thomas suggests using it in his Sport 40 instructions and at first I though he was a little nutty. Come to find out the stuff works awesome and cut my paint prep time in half. Just make sure you buy the regular spackle and not the lite version. I covered my whole hull in the stuff and after it dried I used a red scotch brite pad to sand it ALL off. All that was left was just the spackle filling the pin holes. To prep I just used compressed air to get the dust off and then I wipe the hull with a dry towel. Don't use any water. When I prime the boat I spray a very light coat and let it dry followed by a heavy coat. Then paint the hull and its done. I did this with my Whiplash Cowl and it came out perfectly after two failed attempts using lite body filler that resulted in sanding more and adding more pinholes. The nice part about the Spackle is that you don't need anything more than a red scotch brite pad to reomve the extra spackly and you won't sand into the hull causing more pinholes.

sounds good i wonder if the stuff that is used for fixing nail holes before you paint would work.

It's for touchups...I just bought some..hmmm

Thanks

As long as it isn't the lite version...that stuff was like whipped creme and wouldn't even stick to the hull ;)

I am using Wall Spackle, yes wall Spackle. Phil Thomas suggests using it in his Sport 40 instructions and at first I though he was a little nutty. Come to find out the stuff works awesome and cut my paint prep time in half. Just make sure you buy the regular spackle and not the lite version. I covered my whole hull in the stuff and after it dried I used a red scotch brite pad to sand it ALL off. All that was left was just the spackle filling the pin holes. To prep I just used compressed air to get the dust off and then I wipe the hull with a dry towel. Don't use any water. When I prime the boat I spray a very light coat and let it dry followed by a heavy coat. Then paint the hull and its done. I did this with my Whiplash Cowl and it came out perfectly after two failed attempts using lite body filler that resulted in sanding more and adding more pinholes. The nice part about the Spackle is that you don't need anything more than a red scotch brite pad to reomve the extra spackly and you won't sand into the hull causing more pinholes.
HA I do have nutty ideas sonetimes they work.

The first coat of white spackle can be spread or brushed on, looks like heck but like you say it comes off real easy and ready for primer.

I would fill the bottom pinholes and paint, cause they will cause the hull to flood while running.

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Phil...Happy belated B-day.

Anyway non of the bottom pinholes are deep enough to cause a flood but I decided to fill them anyway, with the spackle its easy enough anyway. I should have the PT Sport40 FE hull ready to hit the water in two weeks.

Back