Elam repairs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
I started to do the repairs to Mikeys Elam.

It was messed up but salvageable, hit hard up on rocks on the right sponson and left side has cracks too.

I notice this damaged the surface coat but not the fiber glass on the sponson bottom, alot of the epoxy glass was knocked off but the cloth didnt get torn. I think this hull was laid up with some higher strength S cloth.

Used three lays cloth on the inside of the bottom and the deck where there were some cracks. Let that setup some so the panels would hold thier shape. Then tacked in some glass tape to get ready to join the deck to the hull agian.

Pictures here on the progress.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1113

It was messed up but salvageable, hit hard up on rocks on the right sponson and left side has cracks too.

I notice this damaged the surface coat but not the fiber glass on the sponson bottom, alot of the epoxy glass was knocked off but the cloth didnt get torn. I think this hull was laid up with some higher strength S cloth.

Used three lays cloth on the inside of the bottom and the deck where there were some cracks. Let that setup some so the panels would hold thier shape. Then tacked in some glass tape to get ready to join the deck to the hull agian.

Fix my hairlip boat Dr.Phil,then we can talk about my driving problems off camera of course. :D :D :D

Fix my hairlip boat Dr.Phil,then we can talk about my driving problems off camera of course. :D :D :D

I didnt say a thing about your driving, Just get a new radio and pass the drivers test and you will be fine.

Now Phil, his driving isn't that bad. He did miss all the bouys multiple times out in Washington, which is more than some of the others did ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Here it is finished. All the missing edges are back and the sponson is joined and solid, just some filler and primer to do.

Here it is finished. All the missing edges are back and the sponson is joined and solid, just some filler and primer to do.
Phil,

your an artist...well done...a pretty boat is pretty again

Phil

How thick is the piece of plywood on the sponsons and how far up do they go?

Thanks

Olly
I think it depends on the required dyhedral for the right sponson, as well as matching the angle of attack on the left sponson...not to mention aligning four running surfaces again on a setup board. Then rebalancing the boat with the new weight distribution, etc, etc, etc...

In our district, we have seen boats come back running more stable/faster after these type of repairs...

The point of my post was: setup of the boat cannot occur without giving yourself a new running surface to modify, which Phil has just showed us how to do.

man..I love this hobby =)

Phil: if the S glass had torn from the accident, would you have considered the boat "non-repairable"? or would you have done something different to properly repair the hull?

Phil

How thick is the piece of plywood on the sponsons and how far up do they go?

Thanks

Olly
Mike added the ply to the sponson bottoms. I had to refinish it that way to match the other side.

the ply is 1/16 about 12 inches long. The ply overhangs the rear of the sponson about 1/8 inch. The angle of attack was not changed.

Phil: if the S glass had torn from the accident, would you have considered the boat "non-repairable"? or would you have done something different to properly repair the hull?
Lennard, the glass was still in one piece, but the bottom did have some splits about 4 inch long as well as the deck. I just roughed up the inside as best i could and laid in about 3 layers of 6 oz cloth patches inside. That made the panels solid agian. I used making tape on the bottom edges that were missing and filled with epoxy with filler.

I had plenty of practice with wrecking my Timex twice this summer, split the deck open on that one too, it did run better too. HA Took out some lead.

Pretty hard to total out one of these epoxy hulls I make.

Looks good Phil! Just goes to show, you can do fix anything if you put your mind and time to it. I did the same thing to the smokin joe a couple years ago..... Can't wait to see the new boat at the Northwest championships next year.....Hey Mikey?

You know Rob, instead of waiting, you could go to Madison Indiana for the regatta at the end of June. I'd be willing to be Mikey will be there along with several others we chat with in the forums ;)

Thanks Phil

I think Mikey did tell me but it's been so long, I forgot :rolleyes:

Olly
I fought a concern where the boat would trip at full speed turning into the turn. The 1/16 ply helped me sharpen the sponson up and I left a 1/8 overhang. When this boat crashed I had found the perfect setup and tons of straight and corner speed. Some new cowls and a different paint scheme are in order. RED RED RED

Latest posts

Back