dummy scale engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
I know we've talked about this before but since the search option is currently dead, who's got the best scale dummy Rolls/Merlin engines? Please feel free to post pics of what's out there. :)

go to google and try searching with:

merlin site:intlwaters.com

the "site:intlwaters.com" will limit the google search to just IW :)

I've seen the following suggested several times:

Larry Kraemer

26926 S.E. 407th Street

Enumclaw, Wa 98022

(360)825-5878

[email protected]

Complete eigine kits (Merlin, Allison, Turbo Allison) $50.00

Instrument panels, paper dials $5.00

Seats $4.00

rearview mirrors $5.00

air scoops $2.00

Valve covers (Allison, Merlin) $8.00

I've seen the following suggested several times:
Larry Kraemer

26926 S.E. 407th Street

Enumclaw, Wa 98022

(360)825-5878

[email protected]

Complete eigine kits (Merlin, Allison, Turbo Allison) $50.00

Instrument panels, paper dials $5.00

Seats $4.00

rearview mirrors $5.00

air scoops $2.00

Valve covers (Allison, Merlin) $8.00
Yes I also have heard Larry's parts are nice. Does anyone have any pics they could post of the Kraemer stuff. :)

don,if you got namba3.net,go under photos and go to the joe dimagio race pictures from the broward race and my brother in law rick bellingers,miss machine rock band has one of larrys motors on it.i know when rick put the motor together you can hollow it out for more flow thru the boat and it was very nice quality and very light.

Don, just to give you an idea on what the engine will weigh, I have a pair of Merlin intake manifolds, exhaust stacks and valve covers. The combined weight is only 4.25 ounces, before doing anything to lighten them. One other note, the Turbo-Allison kit DOES NOT have intake plenums or anything else above the turbos. Larry explained to me that this is because there are too many variations in the arrangement to make parts for all of them.

I know we've talked about this before but since the search option is currently dead, who's got the best scale dummy Rolls/Merlin engines? Please feel free to post pics of what's out there. :)
I found this site awhile back for Merlins. http://www.elkdesigns.com/ (click on model development) I have seen the 3D process used for rapid prototyping and casting development in the past. It is a real neat process. The material is fairly light and strong. These engines used to be available for sale on the site or sister site (can't remember. May need to contact them to find out about pricing.

Cheers,

Kevin Visconti

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry's are great. Don't have any pictures for you though.

I agree they are very well done, but I do find them heavy if he is still making them in solid resin, I have also built the balsa allison from doug cambell, and it is good too takes a bit of work to get it very scale but it is light heres a pic of the balsa motor in my (well used to be my) tahoe miss

tahoemotor2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree they are very well done, but I do find them heavy if he is still making them in solid resin, I have also built the balsa allison from doug cambell, and it is good too takes a bit of work to get it very scale but it is light heres a pic of the balsa motor in my (well used to be my) tahoe miss
tahoemotor2.jpg
Don when i get home i will post some pics of the motor parts. You can hollow out the valve covers to make it lighter. Also id recommend using a hinge on the motor in the front to hold the motor in place now my motor stays put, not much worse things than losing a motor in the water and getting it cut up or sunk..............

Back