DUMB Sport 40 question?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Flynn

In the process of building a sport 40 and I was wondering does any one put holes in the sponson tips for letting water drain out, or at the back of the boat? It's a Phil Thomas.

Thanks

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
In the process of building a sport 40 and I was wondering does any one put holes in the sponson tips for letting water drain out, or at the back of the boat? It's a Phil Thomas.

Thanks

Terry
I have holes in both the front and back.....Mike

I have a hole in each side of the rear to hang it to drain after each run, I never liked holes in the front as the sponsons are stressed enough without having holes in them, but some do.

Thanks

Terry
Mine didn't have holes in the sponsons until Don, John, or Steve (the day is a blur, I can't remember which one did the actual drilling) took a drill to it. There was a surprising amount of water in the sponsons.

Terry, first of all not a dumb question!

thats going to be a nice boat....

Don't drill holes in it untill you have to...

AL

The Super Sport 45 boat has an open hull that water can enter while running. Trying to seal it up is futile, some water will always get in. Some areas to watch are the rudder linkage or water line holes these can let water in if the boat stops out on the pond. Try to keep the strut hole a close fit or seal it with some silicone alot of water can be forced into the hull at the strut opening.

Being an epoxy glass hull it doesn do any harm but the reason for drain holes is you dont want any water affecting the balance point on the next run. these holes should be drilled on the transom up in the top corners so they wont let water in if the boat is sitting dead in the water. They could have plugs or tape over them but that is not needed. I usually hold the boat nose high when returning from a heat and any water is drained before it gets back to the starting stand.

PHIL T

Last edited by a moderator:
Back