Dumas Sport 20 Pay-N-Pak

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.West

I have a brand new in the box Dumas Pay & Pak sport 20. Has anyone built this boat? Is there any tips and pointers someone can give me regarding what running hardware to use/props and engine/pipe combos I can use...I've built many wood boats but this is my first sport 20.....THX

R.J. I can't really give you any tips or pointers. The Dumas Pay n Pak 20 was the first powerboat that I ever built way back in 1977 or 1978 when I was still in high school. I remember using too much bondo on it to cover my many building sins :lol: . I also remember it not siting level on a table at the transom end. One side of the transome was up about 1/4" and even back then I knew that wasn't a good thing :rolleyes: !

I never even finished the boat. The hull was complete but bare and my buddy wanted it so I sold it to him. Now I wonder if I even thought of him as a friend to sell him a warped, bondo filled hull :unsure: !

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a brand new in the box Dumas Pay & Pak sport 20. Has anyone built this boat? Is there any tips and pointers someone can give me regarding what running hardware to use/props and engine/pipe combos I can use...I've built many wood boats but this is my first sport 20.....THX
I'll throw a few things at you:

1) Do not build the boat without using a building jig

2) Use the supplied wooden frames for templates, not as part of the boat. Use 1/16th for all frames except the transoms, use 1/8th for the left sponson and 1/4 for the right sponson and rear. The 1/8th and 1/4 need to be 5 ply, not 3 and all wood needs to be aircraft grade

3) Be sure to cut lightening holes in all enclosed areas of the framing

4) I would recommend not using the aft radio box, but instead build one where the instructions locate the fuel tank

5) Stay away from Dumas running gear. Use Octura, Speedmaster or equivalent.

As far as props and such, each boat is different , so you may just want to experiment

R.J. I can't really give you any tips or pointers. The Dumas Pay n Pak 20 was the first powerboat that I ever built way back in 1977 or 1978 when I was still in high school. I remember using too much bondo on it to cover my many building sins :lol: . I also remember it not siting level on a table at the transom end. One side of the transome was up about 1/4" and even back then I knew that wasn't a good thing :rolleyes: !

I never even finished the boat. The hull was complete but bare and my buddy wanted it so I sold it to him. Now I wonder if I even thought of him as a friend to sell him a warped, bondo filled hull :unsure: !

You think thats bad you should have seen my first LAME attempt at building the 1/8 scale Miller American!

The entire front nose and around the drivers cowl was ALL bondo.....easier to shape and sand than wood, cheap and pink! :p

There has been a lot of posts made for this hull. Grimmy even had a cowl he supplied for it....It was a good running hull. If I remember I will dig out some of the old posts...or research it in the oldies. I think it was a couple years ago.... I think Hydro Junkie has the right idea.

I built one for my very first boat. Being 18 and a total newby, I made lots of mistakes. My biggest two mistakes were to follow the directions(talk about poorly written) and to use the supplied die cut framing. By the time the boat was done, it weighed in at around 8 pounds. Needless to say, the little HB 20 I put in could barely push it with the supplied plastic prop. The boat lasted for 4 years before being destroyed hitting some rocks due to a radio failure. I learned a lot about what NOT TO DO from that boat. I learned even more from a Dumas 36" Atlas "blue blaster". Again, I had a heavy "slug", but this time I got lucky. I ran across an R/C Unlimiteds race and started asking questions about why, how and everything else you can think of. Due to the answers and info I received, that was my last Dumas boat :)

Back