dumas miss circus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larcor69

Supporting Member
Ok I hope there is someone out there that will have the time and experteece to explane how I need to build this boat to be a competieve racer I built a dumas miss miller a long time ago, like 15 years plus but I want this boat to be KILLER any help I would appreaciate Thanks!!

Ok I hope there is someone out there that will have the time and experteece to explane how I need to build this boat to be a competieve racer I built a dumas miss miller a long time ago, like 15 years plus but I want this boat to be KILLER any help I would appreaciate Thanks!!
its a box of wood need help on how to build it right

I have built several of the Dumas 1/8 scale boats before including the Miller American. I would suggest that you assemble the building jig as straight and level as possible. Sand all wood down while still in the carrier sheets before popping them out, that will make removing the parts so much easier. Seriously consider making cutouts in the sponson bulkheads and anywhere else you see fit to attempt to lighten her up. In addition this will help drain any water that may possibly find its way inside the hull. When its time to glue on the sponson bottoms and sides, I like using my "steam iron" trick. That is, you sprinkle some water over the wood and iron over the wood pulling and bending it into a curve so that it's shape will closely resemble the curve of the bulkheads. This will make taping and pinning the skins so much easier.

Hey all you readers! Try it! It works!!! And finally, yeah, you can use the dumas running hardware, but its true, you get what you pay for. I would seriously consider using the rudders and struts etc from SpeedMaster. Thats all I can think of for the moment....Any other questions just ask.. :)

Ron

If you want this boat to be competive, you will need one of the latest versions of 67 race engine and muffed pipe combo's. with that in mind just about any way you build it , it will be fast chuck

This is a good post RCZ. Hydro Junkie explains what wood to us.

Here is a good place to get some hardware. Blazer

You can get a turn fin from Dick here is his info

VIRGINIA CRAFTSMAN Turn Fins

DICK TYNDALL 8151 SAWYER LANE MECHANICSVILLE, VA 23111

[email protected] PH 804-730-7865

i hope this helps

Tom

thanks so far everyone, I did plan on using speedmaster hwd. and I have a new Picc .67 disc rotor engine with a cmb parabolic pipe, with a garrity carb! I was wondering any shaping of the bottom that would be from the normal building to help with handling, Also was wondering what other types of boat does this hull with cowl make will it match another boat, just didnt want a pink boat...lol

there are several newton these all that could be made from the 88 circus. I think that there are some Miss American Spirt that could be made from the circus too, I just couldn't find the page. I have to get to work.

Tom

Now that thread was a blast from the past :D

Okay, you want to make a Dumas Circus Circus into a race boat. Plan on replacing all the "mahogany plywood. As I told the guy in the RCZ thread, use the kit parts as templates and replace the framing as follows:

1/16th Ply) All cross frames except transoms

1/8th Ply) All lengthwise frames and left sponson transom, as well as sponson sheers

1/4 Ply) Right sponson and rear transoms

1/4 Square spruce stick stock) Used for stiffeners and glue blocks, as well as to frame the bottom of the sponsons

Forget about the supplied wood tails and rear wing. The first time you blow it over, they will be history, along with the transom and decks. There are sources that sell fiberglass tail sets that are much lighter than the wood.

A few other things to look at:

1) If the tunnel isn't at least 11.5" wide, increase the width to between 11.5 and 12 inches.

2) Cut out lightening holes everywhere you can

3) I would scrap the aft radio box and move it to inside the cockpit area to eliminate some weight the prop would otherwise have to carry.

most of the frame work is done, I ended up with a bit of a curve in the sponson inside but I think I can unwarp them when I sheet the bottom, so far so good as any mistake's have been fixable so far..lol getting ready to drill smoe more hole's to lighten her up then sheet the bottom Thank's for everyone's help so far..Corey

I built this boat some time ago and learned from the first one I built and used what I learned on it for the second circus which was far better and faster.Get rid of the ABS cowl.junk it and contact dumas about the fibreglass cowl it is so much lighter and stronger.And have fun building it,shann

Last edited by a moderator:
Back