Dumas 1/8 scale hull transom auto bailers?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Miller

Supporting Member
Hello all,

I picked up this boat off of ebay and was wondering why these auto bailers (check balls mssing from inboard positions) are installed on this hull. Aren't the compartments sealed by the decking? If so what function do these serve? Should I plug them before running it? Thanks in advance for any infomation that you may have.

Regards,

Scott

125 Hydro 11.JPG

125 Hydro 12.JPG

I would cover them as they are too high to be effective unless the boat is already half flooded. I'm guessing they were installed to ventilate the hull or act as drains if needed, though autobailers are more often than not the source of water getting into the hull

Id leave them be! Most wood hulls leak and this should aid in getting the water out

Thanks for the information all. I know that even if the boat doesn't have a leak (and I know that it is common to have) it needs to vent in order for the hull to breath. Temperature and humidity changes can cause condensation to form and if the hull can't vent then this problem will only become worse. This must be why the previous owner installed the auto bailers. I will cover them while I run the boat and when the boat is dockside open them up.

Latest posts

Back