Drawing and cutting windows in scale hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon White

Supporting Member
I was wanting to know If anyone knows a good way to draw windows for scale hydro the 2009 cockpits. I have a Joe morci hull. I'm a decent free hand drawer but would circle stencil be good. I been just looking at pic and trying to free hand so far .

Why not do both, free hand and templates? Use the templates to draw on the rounded corners and then connect the corners. Another option would be to use a thin clear plastic and cut the windows out, using the remaining outside material as a guide

I was wanting to know If anyone knows a good way to draw windows for scale hydro the 2009 cockpits. I have a Joe morci hull. I'm a decent free hand drawer but would circle stencil be good. I been just looking at pic and trying to free hand so far .
Use masking tape..... Cover the screen with masking tape and then you can use a pencil to draw the windows and make corrections. Use a dark lead pencil. Templates and rulers will work for the openings. Are you sure you need to cut the holes? Possibly you can paint that canopy and mask off the clear sections of the screen areas and when done painting, just remove the masking tape revealing a clear cockpit windscreen....Then clear over everything.... Is this that old smokin joes U-10 hull you bought a few weeks back? Looked like it had a clear canopy arrangement that you could do as I suggested.....

Another method that works is to use thin pin strip tape like 1/16th or 1/8th inch. The pin strip tape is easy to apply and adjust. Plus if you use a color like black it is real easy to see from a far on how it looks. After you are satisfied, just trace or cut around as needed.

Mike

Bandit, Ill foward you some pictures of the install on the hull. Using fineline tape to get your shape and dimentions is the way to go referencing the picture of the hull your duplicating, easy to adjust to make look correct prior to cutting out. glue in the clear wingshield after painting using sho glue or E6000. Did I give you the windshield?

Joe

Thanks For all the information. Duck, Yes my brother has the U-10 hull an will use your suggestion. I belive he's going to paint it himself. Joe send pic's to me (BlueBlaster) my brother forgot to log out. Looking forward to getting started on it.

Thanks For all the information. Duck, Yes my brother has the U-10 hull an will use your suggestion. I belive he's going to paint it himself. Joe send pic's to me (BlueBlaster) my brother forgot to log out. Looking forward to getting started on it.
When I saw that that hull you guys got had that clear front end canopy it became a no brainer on how to make the canopy. Besides, when its done, it will look more scale with the outline of paint against the clear windows and also be flush which is more like the real thing anyway. Most times the canopy comes in fibreglass or epoxy glass with the holes cut in it for a clear windshield and then you have to fit the windshield in there. That can be a tough undertaking trying to get it to fit right and then it will never be flush like you will end up with.....

cheers

Jason, Send me a email to joefroooo at sbc global .net I dont have your email.

Joe

Latest posts

Back