DPI T-Plus 1/12 motor suggestions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f41stryker

I plan on building this boat for sport/friendly competition but I want to give it some speed. I was thinking of ditching the stock motor and esc and going for brushless power and lipo. Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking about using proboats llumar brushless setup for it. Thanks

I plan on building this boat for sport/friendly competition but I want to give it some speed. I was thinking of ditching the stock motor and esc and going for brushless power and lipo. Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking about using proboats llumar brushless setup for it. Thanks
Try here: www.hobbyking.com I suggest a brushless around 2000KV with 2X 7.4V lipo (14.8V). It should give enough speed.

Thanks for the reply. What is enough speed exactly? What would be an appropriate esc? I'm 100% new to this so I'm learning here. Thanks

If i recall the old DPI T-Plus is a fairly large hull very similar in size to Miss Vegas.

This season I'll be running a FE converted Miss Vegas in our MMEU club LSSH Spec class ( http://mmeu.com/events.htm ).

It will do 40mph no problem with Pro Boat Black Jack 26 brushless motor, 80 amp esc on 4S1P 20C Lipos 45-47mm prop.

Boat is just shy of 6 lbs RTR.

The T-Plus should do even better when properly setup much lighter hull.

You have some serious FE boaters in the Cleveland area if you need more help i can get you in touch with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good information. I'd like to run in the 40-50mph range. What kindof mah numbers would be good and what's the average run time on a setup with the blackjack motor esc? I want to run a single esc and battery simply out of ease

The Blackjack is a great little motor. Comes with an aluminum water jacket installed on it too.

You could go with the motor speedo combo out of UL Superior. I run that in a Whip 20. Runs pretty good. The speedo is way under rated at 60 amps. Get a nice set of 4s-5000mah LiPo witha 20c or higher rating and you should be fine.

does the esc have to be water cooled? I'm curious because there doesn't seem to be many. I'll look into those motors. Is it okay to run these at full throttle for long periods of time? I flew planes a little bit and we could only do bursts of full throttle. I like the idea of using a proven setup off another boat, I'm in my infancy in fe and ease is a huge plus right now

No escs don't need to be cooled but they need to be water-resistant.

We run run these at full thorottle for 5 laps on the nitro oval, 3 heats per event. ESCs run more efficiently at full, if your in and out of the thorottle then they will get hot. They only use about 2000-2500 mah per run so 5000 lipos work well.

I run an MGM TMM 80 amp Car/Boat esc ( http://www.icare-rc.com/specials.htm ) its water resistant and has BEC so it doesn't require a rx pack. saves weight and hassle.

The motor Terrys using runs little higher kv than the BJ26 but mine may be a little torquier. Will see Sun at our 1st club run.

Cheers!

does the esc have to be water cooled? I'm curious because there doesn't seem to be many. I'll look into those motors. Is it okay to run these at full throttle for long periods of time? I flew planes a little bit and we could only do bursts of full throttle. I like the idea of using a proven setup off another boat, I'm in my infancy in fe and ease is a huge plus right now

Okay, here is my thoughts, input appreciated:

Hobbyking.com has a 2700kv water cooled brushless motor for $40

Use the aquacraft ul-1 superiors 60amp esc water cooled

Twin lipo packs TBD

Input/thoughts?

Do I need two 7.4v packs? Or two 14.8v packs?

Or if I run one 80amp esc what would be the appropriate battery?

Sorry fir the redundant questions I'm just very new to this.

You need (2) 7.4v 2S packs in series or one 14.4 4S pack, both would equal 14.4v

That HK motor has to much kv you want to run about 30K no load with translates into a 1800-2000 kv motor.

Use one of the motors we suggested you won't be disappointed.

Ken

Do I need two 7.4v packs? Or two 14.8v packs?
Or if I run one 80amp esc what would be the appropriate battery?

Sorry fir the redundant questions I'm just very new to this.

ultimately does kv relate to speed? I'll either go with the blackjack or superior motor with the 80a esc and a 14.4v pack. With 5000mah, what's my approximate runtime at full throttle? Thanks for your help both my dad and I are really excited to get back into the hobby

That's the setup I run in my Whip and it's a tank. That speedo claims 60 amps but I've pulled 87 average out of it. I don't think mine is special but I could have just got lucky. I've been known to make a motor or two puke their guts out. I'll be dialing it back for our club race. That unit is relatively water tight too.

Don't try to run some other brand of motor on the Aquacraft speedo. I can't say for sure that it wont work but I can't say it will either. That HobbyKing motor is probably a 2 pole motor. The AQ speedo isn't made for that.

There's a Blackjack speedo too. Ken might be right about the Blackjack motor having more torque. I really think it's a wash performance wise between the three motor combos that are popular for spec racing. Those being the SV27 motor, the UL motor and the Blackjack motor.

A set of 5000's should run for 3:30 if you stay under the 60 amp mark without hurting the cells. If you want more time you "could" go with two 4s packs and parallel them into the speedo. So you have a 10000 mah tank of fuel instead of a 5000 mah tank. I'm not sure how the whole setup will take to carrying around the extra weight though.

If you do any of the 3 combos you could probably find a club racing those setups near you. Heck, start a club. haha These suckers are so fun. Uncomplicated and descent speed.

We have a local club but I think they're mainly nitro/gas. Plus their lake is on the other side of town so we're sticking around here. My dad and brother are also getting boats so I'll always have some competition. I'm hopeful I can get the MIT and get started on it. Next thing will be figuring out a motor mount. I'm sure the stock one won't be compatible for brushless

Back