detounged props for 1/8th scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whos doing it? advantages or disadvantages, thanks
Big advantage to detounging the X series props. But I cut the 1600 series octura`s too. Helps unload the engine a little so you can turn the tips a little quicker/Faster & it ramps up entry on the progressive prop too, cause you cut off the low entry part of the blade. Most of the time you will have to add tip cup to help hold the water on the blade, if you are just starting to try this? Set your prop on the flat surface. if it will not set on the hub. Remove just enough entry on the blade so it will. This is a good place to start & I normally round the entry off & try to take the Tip off. If you are not experienced with this Andy Brown, & Mark Shoulund can porvide the work for a reasonable price. Use a prop caliper Or a measuring device to help keep the prop round/tru. I think if you see a exceptional boat @ a race someone has worked the prop & it is not Stk as it came from the mfger. Leading edge (suction side of the prop), Trailing edge, & Tip cup have all been Modified to that paticular type boat, Pipe & engine set up...... Every Boat Mono/Hydro/Cat has its favorite base line prop it is best if you know what it is to modifed that same prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
whos doing it? advantages or disadvantages, thanks
Big advantage to detounging the X series props. But I cut the 1600 series octura`s too. Helps unload the engine a little so you can turn the tips a little quicker/Faster & it ramps up entry on the progressive prop too, cause you cut off the low entry part of the blade. Most of the time you will have to add tip cup to help hold the water on the blade, if you are just starting to try this? Set your prop on the flat surface. if it will not set on the hub. Remove just enough entry on the blade so it will. This is a good place to start & I normally round the entry off & try to take the Tip off. If you are not experienced with this Andy Brown, & Mark Shoulund can porvide the work for a reasonable price. Use a prop caliper Or a measuring device to help keep the prop round/tru. I think if you see a exceptional boat @ a race someone has worked the prop & it is not Stk as it came from the mfger. Leading edge (suction side of the prop), Trailing edge, & Tip cup have all been Modified to that paticular type boat, Pipe & engine set up...... Every Boat Mono/Hydro/Cat has its favorite base line prop it is best if you know what it is to modifed that same prop.
Jeff, hope we haven't confusied you- the tongue on X series props has the lowest pitch(pitch is progressive on the X series props and removing a bit seems to help get the boat on plane easier). without any loss of speed. I balance props first then take about 3/32" off the leading edge- It would also help to know what hull you are running- Round nose seem to do better with 1400 series and pickle forks seem to work better with the X series Octuras.

Glenn

Back