Decided on a gas unlimited build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Larocque

I have been doing my research and reading everything I can and decided on an ML 82U55 hull. I will get my cowl from Mr Thomas. I have a bunch of props I can try when I get that far from my T-Boat and Backlash. Now I have some questions. I see some are running mod 260's and others are saying get the most power and torque that you can get. I was thinking of maybe trying a stock 29.5 or 30 stroker instead of the modded 29.5 or 30. Is anyone running a stock 30 and does it have enough power? I don't need or want to do 70 + MPH. Things happen way too fast for an old man at those speeds. LOL but I do not want to be underpowered. Been talking to the boys in our Eastern Ontario club and showing them the pics and vids that I can find but if you guys can shoot me some race videos and some good pics of your finished boats that would go a long way towards getting a few off the fence and starting up this class at home.

Thanks

Rick

Welcomre to Gas Scale Rick, Up here in the NW we are trying different power plants. Currently most are running Mod 26 cc engines with a few running the Mod 29,5 cc. I have run both in my U-95. You can see some race video at http://www.youtube.com/user/hydroguy637?feature=guide My youtube channel. My U-95 is running a GZ2 From Gizzmo in all of the videos. Speed's are 58 to 64 in heat trim. I would say buy what your wallet will allow. A stock K30 or 290 is not enough power to get it around the course. You will have to go with a Mod engine either 26 or 29.5. The class alows up to 31 cc but I think the 29.5 is MORE than enough power. See our website at http://www.pnwta.org/ for class rules. Good luck on your build.

Are you allowed to redesign the sponson bottoms such as depth and angle of attack and ride shingles and such as long as you conform to the size and overall depth rules? Thanks for the vids and the motor info by the way.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
A modded RCMK K30 is one heck of a powerplant. The torque and rpm are awesome. Having a engine that is always pulling hard makes setting up a boat that much easier.

One of my RCMK K30 full mod's in a Razor mono with only a 7016/3-415 prop. I now run it with a 7316/3 pitched over 4.40 and the topend is just crazy. They work well with almost any pipe.

A modded RCMK K30 is one heck of a powerplant. The torque and rpm are awesome. Having a engine that is always pulling hard makes setting up a boat that much easier.

One of my RCMK K30 full mod's in a Razor mono with only a 7016/3-415 prop. I now run it with a 7316/3 pitched over 4.40 and the topend is just crazy. They work well with almost any pipe.

http://youtu.be/wPHJEyTB5KQ
A Razor is a totally different animal than a gas scale 8255 hull. What will work good on you mono may not work at all on a scale hydroplane

the rcmk k30rz I think will be the engine of choice for the gas scale hulls I plan to have one in mine it will be the greenhead of the gas scales , in this case the rcmk red head..lol I always have liked red heads..imo

Are you allowed to redesign the sponson bottoms such as depth and angle of attack and ride shingles and such as long as you conform to the size and overall depth rules? Thanks for the vids and the motor info by the way.

Rick
Yes. The K30RZ will be an easy set up in a scale hydro in terms of the exhaust and carb. The Bud and Elams in the videos run J&G top ends on RCMK bottom ends. They are 26 cc and work real well. The rest of us run Zen's either 26 or 29.5 cc. All are Mod engines from the various manufacturers.

the rcmk k30rz I think will be the engine of choice for the gas scale hulls I plan to have one in mine it will be the greenhead of the gas scales , in this case the rcmk red head..lol I always have liked red heads..imo
We have tested a Mod K30rz in a Gas Scale. It performed OK. It did get sent back to the manufacturer for more upgrades. It just did not have the power we were looking for. They will make it better and I am sure it will be a good engine choice.

Back