Dave Franks boats? Has anyone built one?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyPierce

Has anyone ever built any of the 1/10th scale hydro's from Dave Franks plans? I am aware that they are designed for electric, but has anyone ever built one for nitro? how do they run? How do they handle? Any information would be much appreciated.

.Rodney

My brother built a David Frank sport 40 years ago and still has it.

Dave Roach

I think I have built all of Dave's boats except the first generation sp40. They are outdated and will need to be beefed up to handle the speed and power we are running today. All the plans are for brushed electrics except for the sp40 plans.

Mike

I think I have built all of Dave's boats except the first generation sp40. They are outdated and will need to be beefed up to handle the speed and power we are running today. All the plans are for brushed electrics except for the sp40 plans.

Mike

Mike, have my PM's not been going through??? I have sent a couple now, without a return?

Rod... mine was a scaled down '40..... I talked with Mike a little about getting the plans way earlier.... when he was selling a 20 size..... ... maybe.... which 40' i couldnt tell you.... the boat is fairly hard to build, and, if i wouldnt have got my plans back from Larry cut to confetti....confetti floated away, too..... so.... Old Larry has the plans "in his head" now. Both Tuttles and D Pruesee' boats are crazy similar....... cowlings youre on your own...... ranissa ended up with one of mine, as a project boat.... mail her up..... if she'll send it back that'll make us even on shipping.... Aric sold the other Takes' painted one for me... The PT you got'll hang..... good luck mike

Rod... mine was a scaled down '40..... I talked with Mike a little about getting the plans way earlier.... when he was selling a 20 size..... ... maybe.... which 40' i couldnt tell you.... the boat is fairly hard to build, and, if i wouldnt have got my plans back from Larry cut to confetti....confetti floated away, too..... so.... Old Larry has the plans "in his head" now. Both Tuttles and D Pruesee' boats are crazy similar....... cowlings youre on your own...... ranissa ended up with one of mine, as a project boat.... mail her up..... if she'll send it back that'll make us even on shipping.... Aric sold the other Takes' painted one for me... The PT you got'll hang..... good luck mike

Oh, I know the PT will hang. Just looking for something to build here. Mike Hughes has a set of Arno Birts original boat plans, with Hughes personal mods done to them. He has answered me back with a price, but havnt gotten anything since. I understand he is a busy guy, or they just arent going through. One or the other. Anyhow, this sport 20 thing is stuck with this guy. I love that class!!! I can figure something out for the cowlings. Now, if I could just win the lottery and buy us a laser cutter. that would be tits!!

Must have been different Larry, 'cause it wasn't me. :p

Oh, I know the PT will hang. Just looking for something to build here. Mike Hughes has a set of Arno Birts original boat plans, with Hughes personal mods done to them. He has answered me back with a price, but havnt gotten anything since. I understand he is a busy guy, or they just arent going through. One or the other. Anyhow, this sport 20 thing is stuck with this guy. I love that class!!! I can figure something out for the cowlings. Now, if I could just win the lottery and buy us a laser cutter. that would be tits!!
Rodney, If you think the sport 20 class is a blast...Which it is, you should try a sport 40! :)

Rodney, If you think the sport 20 class is a blast...Which it is, you should try a sport 40! :)

For now, I will stick with me 20 boats. I like them little guys!!

Sorry Rodney

I keep starting to reply to your PM twice and get dragged away and then the kids close the page. I forget and here we are.

You have a PM.

Mike

Sorry Rodney

I keep starting to reply to your PM twice and get dragged away and then the kids close the page. I forget and here we are.

You have a PM.

Mike

Mike, no problem my friend! I figured you were either busy,or they just wernt going through for some reason. No biggy pal!

I just found a set of planes from Dave Frank. They are of the O'Boy O'Burtto (can't spell). They were given to me by the son of a club member that passed a couple years ago. I wonder if they are the same as what you have? I'll get some photos and try to post them later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where you can get these plans anymore??? Im looking for either a set of sport 21 plans or a set of sport 40 plans.

Here's the listing from Astec that I posted on the other thread. Hope it's what you're looking for. Just so you all know, they are in PDF format so you should be able to scale them up or down as needed

8255 Oberto 1/12

7701 Atlas 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/16

8025 Pay'N Pak 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/13

1957 Jones Round Nose, makes Newton plan 103 hulls could also make plan 102 hulls with some minor changes 1/10, 1/12, 1/16

6907 Notre Dame, also makes all Newton plan 101 hulls 1/10, 1/12, 1/16, 1/11.1

5762 Thriftway Too 1/13.3

1924 Baby Bootlegger, this is not a hydroplane but rather a shallow vee hull in 1/16 only

Last edited by a moderator:
Back