Cowling for 1/8 Atlas U71

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad made the plugs for this but did not make a mold. He just glassed over the top and pulled off the parts. The plugs were damaged when he did it and I am not sure if he is interested in fixing them, if he still has them. He built the boat 15 years ago.

Check with aeromarine, I think they used to offer this boat as a kit.

Just make a rigid Styrofoam plug to front cowling shape. Just epoxy some fiberglass cloth over it, sand to finish and remove foam. I would suggest leaving some of the foam for flotation. Just apply some epoxy over the exposed ends of remaining foam to prevent it from getting water and oil soaked. Quick and easy way to make a one off front cowl!!!! JB

Does anyone make a cowling for the 1/8 Atlas U71 hydroplane,

have attached pic of the boat
Check length of cowl from Rc boat co. the 7171 atlas is a long boat ? I had to scratch build Mine.
dave is correct.

the RC BC 5840 cowl is way too small for the 48 inch 1/8 scale 7171.

yes, it resembles the 7171 rear cowl. it's a better match for true 1/8 scale 6677 and 7505

lauterbach unlimiteds, imo.

make the 7171 front and rear cowls as suggested by Jerry B. or build the 6880 Myr's Special with a zippkits t-boat rear cowl. note the double contour rear cowl on the Myr's.

ML's 7171 kit rear fames will need to be modified to build an accurate '69 and later 6880.

RCBoatCo.com_part_SG2400C_1958-61_U-40_Bardahl_Master_Hull_5840.jpg

3 copy 10.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back