Cowl Mounting Methods - looking for ideas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Rappold

Supporting Member
I am in the process of building a new 1/8th scale. The boat has a Bud style turbine cowling made from epoxy glass. I am looking for ideas on how to best secure the cowling to the boat.

Does anyone have a good system that stays on in the event of a blowover yet does not take a crowbar to remove?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold

Hey Mike, if you want the cowling to stay on during a blow over, use Aeromarine push locks. I am using the magnet idea right now and seems to work if I could stop being a submarine. Wanting it to stay on in a blow over? From past lesson learned is a bad thing. Also please put flotation in the cowling so you do not lose it! Also the O-ring idea works well and will hold on tight but let go when needed. Or you could do the bolt and screw on method like the Pro Boat people do but it is hard to get on when boat is running. I like the magnet idea right now looks good and comes off when hit or flip, and is easy to install just my personnel pick.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike, if you want the cowling to stay on during a blow over, use Aeromarine push locks. I am using the magnet idea right now and seems to work if I could stop being a submarine. Wanting it to stay on in a blow over? From past lesson learned is a bad thing. Also please put in flotation in the cowling so you do not lose it! Also the O-ring idea works well and will hold on tight but let go when needed. Or you could do the bolt and screw on method like the Pro Boat people do but it is hard to get on when boat is running. I like the magnet idea right now looks good and comes off when hit or flip, and is easy to install just my personnel pick.Don
I agree Don. the magnets work like a champ.

Hey Mike, if you want the cowling to stay on during a blow over, use Aeromarine push locks. I am using the magnet idea right now and seems to work if I could stop being a submarine. Wanting it to stay on in a blow over? From past lesson learned is a bad thing. Also please put in flotation in the cowling so you do not lose it! Also the O-ring idea works well and will hold on tight but let go when needed. Or you could do the bolt and screw on method like the Pro Boat people do but it is hard to get on when boat is running. I like the magnet idea right now looks good and comes off when hit or flip, and is easy to install just my personnel pick.Don
Thanks for the replies. I should have stated it better in that I agree in the event of a blowover, coming off is a good thing. Mainly looking for a method that stays on in the normal "bouncing" that occurs during running - especially as the water gets rougher.

I have an existing 1/8th scale where I ended up using the oring method. Works great but it is not as "scale" looking. Thus the reason for asking about other methods as I bulid the new boat.

With the magnets, are you also using any alignment pins? In other words pins to locate the cowl on the boat and then the magnets to hold it down.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. I should have stated it better in that I agree in the event of a blowover, coming off is a good thing. Mainly looking for a method that stays on in the normal "bouncing" that occurs during running - especially as the water gets rougher.

I have an existing 1/8th scale where I ended up using the oring method. Works great but it is not as "scale" looking. Thus the reason for asking about other methods as I bulid the new boat.

With the magnets, are you also using any alignment pins? In other words pins to locate the cowl on the boat and then the magnets to hold it down.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

No pins are needed. Just put a magnet on the boat and another on the cowl. They will align themself. I use JB Weld to mount them because it is attacted to the magnet and will not drip.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

No pins are needed. Just put a magnet on the boat and another on the cowl. They will align themself. I use JB Weld to mount them because it is attacted to the magnet and will not drip.

I saw Joes setup with the magnets this weekend Super Idea The way to go. Joe Maybe you can post some pics and were to buy the magnets.Oh floation is always needed

Thanx

Bob

Another option that is widely used is twin roller cabinet latches. If you put one on each rear corner and either another in the front or alignment pins, the cowl will stay on but is easily removed if needed, hit or blown over

For me I use angle brackets on the cowling and the magnets I got have small bolts threw them and they are screwed down to the deck. I used a pin like system so the magnets are just holding down the cowling. It is great for scale look you just do not see anything.

Don

Back