CORRECT REAR WING AND SKID FIN ANGLE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

Hey Guys, what is the correct degree of angle on the rear wing of a scale hydro ?

What is the correct degree of angle on a turn fin on a scale hydro ?

Thanks.

There is no "correct" angle on either one. Just like the full sized boats, the angle on both is a matter of trial and error to get them "right". One thing you need to remember is that the wing is a tuning device, not a lifting aid as some seem to think.

The rear wing should be set nuetral to start with. Level the hull, then level the wing. The skid fin angle depends on alot. But you can start about 17*. Again it depends on the ballance of the hull, The location of the fin itself the shape of it the leading edge angle. The location of the rudder and prop. All play factors on the skid fin. Every hull is different and will react differently. Trial and error is the way to go. Run it a couple laps then adjust it until you get the results you like.

Some of us believe that tail feathers are just something to get knocked off and that you will see little difference with the incidence of the wing or whether it's airfoil is symmetrical, or Clark "Y" at 60 mph anyhoo.

Turn fins vary wildly. I would suggest you start with a Scale boat turn fin from Virginia Craftsman, i.e. Dick Tyndall -pics attached. I understand Dick is not taking orders presently to catch up. Notice the curved under portion toward the bottom of the turn fin. This type fin is most generally mounted with the upper portion of the fin vertical. You can mount flat turn fins at a tilt angle, but generally tucked, our simple bent under fins prefer a vertical main blade mount. Depth, width, leading and trailing edge rake, thickness of the blade, tuck or not - all have effects on the hull and whether they lift or suck down the starboard sponson in a turn. They can also be tuned to achieve a desired result my changing those items mentioned. CHEERS !!! Bob

Some of us believe that tail feathers are just something to get knocked off and that you will see little difference with the incidence of the wing or whether it's airfoil is symmetrical, or Clark "Y" at 60 mph anyhoo.

Turn fins vary wildly. I would suggest you start with a Scale boat turn fin from Virginia Craftsman, i.e. Dick Tyndall -pics attached. I understand Dick is not taking orders presently to catch up. Notice the curved under portion toward the bottom of the turn fin. This type fin is most generally mounted with the upper portion of the fin vertical. You can mount flat turn fins at a tilt angle, but generally tucked, our simple bent under fins prefer a vertical main blade mount. Depth, width, leading and trailing edge rake, thickness of the blade, tuck or not - all have effects on the hull and whether they lift or suck down the starboard sponson in a turn. They can also be tuned to achieve a desired result my changing those items mentioned. CHEERS !!! Bob
Thanks Guys. Bob I have a couple of turn fins I will have to try when I am ready. Mark.

Latest posts

Back