Con Rod stuff..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

After all that looking into rod clearances and stuff... I took the engine aparts again to take another look...

Look what I found.. The picture is fuzzy,.. can you see the bend in this rod?

Pic didn't attach to message,.. I'll put it in my gallery..

What causes this?

Last edited by a moderator:
After all that looking into rod clearances and stuff... I took the engine aparts again to take another look...

Look what I found.. The picture is fuzzy,.. can you see the bend in this rod?

Pic didn't attach to message,.. I'll put it in my gallery..

What causes this?
Has the motor/boat taken a hard stuff at speed? Water does not compress, usually the rod gives............. :blink:

That's been my problem, a jerk with a starter! :lol:

Tony, I think that you may have found the answer to your launching problems. Now the Mrs. knows what else you need for your birthday.

Anthony,

#1 Are you using 24 volts with your starter? If so I would back off to 12 on that size engine.

#2 Before you restart your engine after a run aways take out the plug, pinch off the fule line and blow everything out. You might want to throw a wrag over the engine to keep it out of your eyes.

#3 If I was a betting man, I would guess that this was not caused by a stuff but from trying to start the engine loaded up. That is a major bend. In 10 years of racing I have never had one that looked that bad.

#4 Have you removed either of the shims/gaskets from the head?

Don ;)

#3 If I was a betting man, I would guess that this was not caused by a stuff but from trying to start the engine loaded up. That is a major bend. In 10 years of racing I have never had one that looked that bad.
Good thing you're not a betting man, I bent a steel CMB 80 rod worse than that on a hi speed stuff. Haulin' a$$ down a back straight wide open & the boat submarined without even a chance to get out of the trigger. Found a nice dinger on the rudder afterwards, suspected something like a turtle, no debris found. Tough way to learn you can't compress liquids though....... :eek:

But I gotta admit a good starter on a little motor that's loaded up would certainly be capable of doing that. :(

It could also happen if you use a screwdriver in the exhaust port to keep the crank from moving while trying to take off a flex hex. Turning the wrench the wrong direction of course. An exact rendition of that I actually witnessed. The screwdriver in the exhaust port. The engine didn't run well after that, but I can't say for sure if the rod was bent or the sand on the screwdriver had something to do with it.

It could also happen if you use a screwdriver in the exhaust port to keep the crank from moving while trying to take off a flex hex. Turning the wrench the wrong direction of course. An exact rendition of that I actually witnessed. The screwdriver in the exhaust port. The engine didn't run well after that, but I can't say for sure if the rod was bent or the sand on the screwdriver had something to do with it.
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good thing you're not a betting man, I bent a steel CMB 80 rod worse than that on a hi speed stuff. Haulin' a$$ down a back straight wide open & the boat submarined without even a chance to get out of the trigger. Found a nice dinger on the rudder afterwards, suspected something like a turtle, no debris found. Tough way to learn you can't compress liquids though....... :eek:

But I gotta admit a good starter on a little motor that's loaded up would certainly be capable of doing that. :(
"Oh Ya" Well that figures, Blame it on a turtle! Truth is you're just going too damed fast. Someone needs to slow you guys down. "We need speed limits!"

Don :p

EVER SEEN WHAT A TURTLE CAN DO TO AN OUTBOARD LOWER unit running wide open? mess up a good lawless it peeled the bottom of the skeg back a 1/4" had to reshape it. not fun! hate to see what the turtle looked liked afterwards and using a prather s-215 prop as well when it happened.

allen

So John, are you saying that I should wipe the sand off of the screwdriver before I ram it into the exhaust port and clamp the vise grips onto the flex hex? Also what size Ball Peen Hammer is best to beat the Flywheel off of the Crankshaft with? :rolleyes: :blink:

Back