Coating on bottom of Miss Elam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscrash

Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me what is on the bottom of the Miss Elam hull? It appears beautifully in the flip photos at Michigan. It appears to be a black rough textured appearing material. Thanks for the information.

Chris

I can't find it now , but i read some where that the was repaired after another crash and that was why the bottom had some black areas.

you can go to a farm supply store. spray cans of plow shear coating can be used. it is used for coating the blades so the mud doesnt stick. it is graphite and become rock hard. about 4.50 at case/ih stores. i would assume john deere, farm supply and others also carry it. mine has lasted 3 years with no re-does needed. has the texture of 2000 grit sand paper when dry.

Wow thanks for all the information guys. I am always impressed by the feedback. My main goal was to make my soon to be new Elam look as real as possible. So I don't know what I will do at this point. May just have bottom painted black in those areas to match the pictures.

Thanks,

Chris

Wow thanks for all the information guys. I am always impressed by the feedback. My main goal was to make my soon to be new Elam look as real as possible. So I don't know what I will do at this point. May just have bottom painted black in those areas to match the pictures.
Thanks,

Chris

Slip Plate is easy to apply and it's fuel proof. You have to work to make cause it to run.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris I can do this for you when I build the hull. The graphite can be mixed with the epoxy surface coat on the front sponson pads Then all you have to do is sand it a bit with some 400 paper and it will be slicker than paint. Plus the sponson edges are sharper with no paint.

PHIL

Chris I can do this for you when I build the hull. The graphite can be mixed with the epoxy surface coat on the front sponson pads Then all you have to do is sand it a bit with some 400 paper and it will be slicker than paint. Plus the sponson edges are sharper with no paint. PHIL
How much graphite is mixed with the surface coat (or is that a trade secret :ph34r: )?

Chris I can do this for you when I build the hull. The graphite can be mixed with the epoxy surface coat on the front sponson pads Then all you have to do is sand it a bit with some 400 paper and it will be slicker than paint. Plus the sponson edges are sharper with no paint. PHIL
How much graphite is mixed with the surface coat (or is that a trade secret :ph34r: )?
ten to one ratio epoxy to graphite

Brian

If you mix graphite in the layup the repairs may be difficult as it is tough to get epoxy to bond to the original epoxy.

I would stick to using the graphite spray (plow shear coating). It's the same stuff the Unlimited teams use. Apply several coats. It will have a rough texture when it dries so scuff it smooth with a Scothbright pad. It will be messy because it wears off easily. So avoid rubbing the bottom of your boat. You may have to re-apply a few times.

Mikey,

No I don't. The gain would not be enough at this point. There are several other areas of improvement that need to be addressed before I start on the little tricks.

Actually, I need to quit working on other people's boats instead of letting mine set all winter. I recall having this same problem trying to race R/C boats. Here's a link to some of the work we started on Sean Bowsher's 1.0 Litre Mod hull:

Sean's Boat Repairs

Mikey,
No I don't. The gain would not be enough at this point. There are several other areas of improvement that need to be addressed before I start on the little tricks.

Actually, I need to quit working on other people's boats instead of letting mine set all winter. I recall having this same problem trying to race R/C boats. Here's a link to some of the work we started on Sean Bowsher's 1.0 Litre Mod hull:

Sean's Boat Repairs
Now that you mention it i could use a good prop man !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back