CMB 67 Greenie

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscrash

Supporting Member
How many turns ourt do you have your carb low end needle on the new (last year) CMB carb. It is the black carb with low end needle. A ball park would be nice.

Thanks,

Chris

Doc,

Well that's what I would assume also. But with an OS needle closed in a Ferrette base I couldn't get the motor to start because of being sloppy rich. I had to pinch the line to make it start. Once it started and transferred to high end then it was too lean. Last year I had one test run and couldn't get it rich enough with the third channel. A part broke so I took it home and that was it until this spring. A couple of weeks ago I took it to the pond opened the low end about 6 turns, to essentially bypass it, and then started adjusting the third channel. And that's when I couldn't get it to start any longer.

So still confused.

Thanks Chris

Okay! You can take this advice and throw it to the wind. But! here is one speed tip I'll share with you all. If you don't believe me, look at my credentials, then come race against a Brandt. You can find me at www.rcunlimiteds.org. This is not a brag, it is intended to be a sincere effort to help others. ASK MIKEY!

Buy a box stock OS 9B carb from Tower. It is a direct bolt on to the .67 Greenhead.

Close the carb and turn the low end needle in until it stops. Back it out now EXACTLY 2 1/2 turns. If you live on the West Coast you should never have to touch it again.

I have adapted, where necessary, the 9B carb to all motors we have run and it is by far the most consistant carb available. You can go fast with any carb. But! Can you go slow and then be explosive off the line? Yes, it also takes other variables including pipe, aftermuffler, prop and balance. My family believes in assisting others any way we can, but we want to still kick A once the 3 minute clock starts.

I think it is important to help all racers to be competitive. At least lets all help others to run decently and bring the boat back.

Bill

Okay! You can take this advice and throw it to the wind. But! here is one speed tip I'll share with you all. If you don't believe me, look at my credentials, then come race against a Brandt. You can find me at www.rcunlimiteds.org. This is not a brag, it is intended to be a sincere effort to help others. ASK MIKEY!
Buy a box stock OS 9B carb from Tower. It is a direct bolt on to the .67 Greenhead.

Close the carb and turn the low end needle in until it stops. Back it out now EXACTLY 2 1/2 turns. If you live on the West Coast you should never have to touch it again.

I have adapted, where necessary, the 9B carb to all motors we have run and it is by far the most consistant carb available. You can go fast with any carb. But! Can you go slow and then be explosive off the line? Yes, it also takes other variables including pipe, aftermuffler, prop and balance. My family believes in assisting others any way we can, but we want to still kick A once the 3 minute clock starts.

I think it is important to help all racers to be competitive. At least lets all help others to run decently and bring the boat back.

Bill
Bill made me a believer and you can be also. I have a 9b for my new Elam and i have a cmb latest carb with low end needle on RedMan

Mike,

Why don't you have one on the Redman? Just trying something different?

I haven't brought out the Notre Dame yet this year. Dave won the 2nd race with the 99 Snorkleboat Pico. I'm running the 94 Oberto. I'm fine in point series but not winning the finals.

Dave's wife Brenda is just driving great with the 78 U65 Squire.

Who has MC9 plugs for a decent price?

Bill

Mike,
Why don't you have one on the Redman? Just trying something different?

I haven't brought out the Notre Dame yet this year. Dave won the 2nd race with the 99 Snorkleboat Pico. I'm running the 94 Oberto. I'm fine in point series but not winning the finals.

Dave's wife Brenda is just driving great with the 78 U65 Squire.

Who has MC9 plugs for a decent price?

Bill
Bill i had one and thought id try it works good. Saving the 9b for the Elam. Walt Barney on here has plugs Mike

Ok, Chris, Heres the deal, The statement above is correct. If I were you, I would take that black carb and throw it. I have one, its on the motor I just got From Chuck that came in the Circus boat. You probably will never see it in my boat. Last year, I took the bud, went past the field in the back straight, pulled over and parked it so late I am sure no one thought it would make the start. Long story short, It made it, easily, the secret, an os 9B carb with the lowend turned, Ironically, right where Bill just told you to put it. I am going to hate myself later today because of my big mouth. So, If you dont listen this time. Dont expect me to tell the story again. That carb with the needle you already have is a great combo. Just my two cents. oh, and Ryan Hobby and Brian Schymick, please pretend you never read this post. thank you, Ken

Ok, Chris, Heres the deal, The statement above is correct. If I were you, I would take that black carb and throw it. I have one, its on the motor I just got From Chuck that came in the Circus boat. You probably will never see it in my boat. Last year, I took the bud, went past the field in the back straight, pulled over and parked it so late I am sure no one thought it would make the start. Long story short, It made it, easily, the secret, an os 9B carb with the lowend turned, Ironically, right where Bill just told you to put it. I am going to hate myself later today because of my big mouth. So, If you dont listen this time. Dont expect me to tell the story again. That carb with the needle you already have is a great combo. Just my two cents. oh, and Ryan Hobby and Brian Schymick, please pretend you never read this post. thank you, Ken
I have been running the 12mm silver carb for a year now. I do like the 9b ,but have found the CMB 12 mm silver carb with the low end needle will give you 10 MPH boat or 60 plus boat. With the off the line mph like no other. The OS 9b is a .470 bore the CMB carb is .460 bore BOTh are good on the Cmb 67 Greenhead. But, I do not see spending the extra $70.00 on the 9b. I have ran them both and there is not $70.00 worth of all around performance in the 9B . My Two cents worth. On the other hand Chris there most be something wrong with the high speed needle. If it is closed and the engine is over flowing with fuel. You need to find somebody with a flow meter to find out were you are at on that needle

Last edited:
Chris,

Definately listen to these guys. The 9B is the only carb run on my greenie, it's great for a newbie, bolt it up, set the needles and forget it. It's not touchy on changing air conditions either, with a 3rd channel needle it's a snap.

good luck

gh

Chris,Definately listen to these guys. The 9B is the only carb run on my greenie, it's great for a newbie, bolt it up, set the needles and forget it. It's not touchy on changing air conditions either, with a 3rd channel needle it's a snap.

good luck

gh
Chris i think you should get the BLACK k/b outboard carb it will idle all day long. Just dont launch it! Bring it Friday and we will throw stuff at it till she screams....................

Chris, Steve Peterson will be at Evansville, he is the man to get with on these CMB's. Doug Shepherd is another good source. Also I run the black carb and like it but had to get some input from Doug and Steve to get it right.

not to try and stir the pot guys.

but you can mod a mac 500 or 550 bore carb that will slow down like a 9b and run ALOT faster.

just some food for thought if you can find one.

chris

I ordered the carb today and it will be in on Wednesday. We ran tonight, and it looked awesome for one back straight. I don't know how much time I will get to run it. Hopefully on Wednesday night and Thursday if need be. If I can't get it to work, can one of you all use your flow meter on yours and then run it on mine and set it at Evansville. All things being pretty much the same this should get me in the ball park right? I really want to race it this weekend.

Thanks,

Chris

I ordered the carb today and it will be in on Wednesday. We ran tonight, and it looked awesome for one back straight. I don't know how much time I will get to run it. Hopefully on Wednesday night and Thursday if need be. If I can't get it to work, can one of you all use your flow meter on yours and then run it on mine and set it at Evansville. All things being pretty much the same this should get me in the ball park right? I really want to race it this weekend.
Thanks,
We will hook you up did you order a 9b? i have a couple carbs that will work

Doc,
Well that's what I would assume also. But with an OS needle closed in a Ferrette base I couldn't get the motor to start because of being sloppy rich. I had to pinch the line to make it start. Once it started and transferred to high end then it was too lean. Last year I had one test run and couldn't get it rich enough with the third channel. A part broke so I took it home and that was it until this spring. A couple of weeks ago I took it to the pond opened the low end about 6 turns, to essentially bypass it, and then started adjusting the third channel. And that's when I couldn't get it to start any longer.

So still confused.

Thanks Chris
Chris, When you opened the low end up so much it was probably leaking and you could not get it rich enough. I have had no problem with the carb with low end needle ground off flat and then screwed all of the way in. I have been using the same mixture control in my SGX hydro.

I have been through many carbs over the last 30 years and in fact Mark Bullard built some for many of our motors in the past. Unless you want to go with a bigger bore, which is another issue, save your money. GTT

Chris, the Madison club is running Wed evening 4 pm till dark. Doug will be there and has a flow meter plus no better time to get some runs in with other scale guys.

Don McKay

Back