Clear or not to clear over graphics?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some inks are not solvent or fuel proof so not clearing over them could cost you the funds needed to buy a replacement set as well

You can request to have them laminated which will protect the ink but makes them thicker. Also, the nitro will still creep under the edges with time. Gas boats, not so much. I've even found that nitro and wd40 will migrate thru epoxy glass and lift a wrap after a couple of years. Polyester resin glass seems to be ok though. Clearing over is always preferable.

Ron,

Use a High Quality Automotive Clear coat. Mist the graphics lightly and let tack up. Then apply a medium coat of clear. Let tack up. Them apply the final gloss coat.

Wes has a film that you can apply. ugh I dont know how it works, I was there, and the newest graphics he can put a coating on it that is lighter than the clear coat will be. ugh look who i am telling this to. Clear coat 6 or 7 coats Be generous!!!!! sand each coat until you cannot feel the graphics.

I thought we got 4 years on the U-7 black boat that I cannot remember the name of. but it did start peeling up around the turban area where fuel and oil would set

6 or 7 coats??? no way.... lol
Depends on the decals. IF you don't want to be able to feel or see the edges of the decals through the clear, it could take that much. Most won't put on more than two or three since more than that is just added weight and, when you're dealing with a competition boat, every gram counts

Last edited:
Back