Check out the 1/8 Scale I picked up over the weekend.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Stollfuss

Check out the 1/8 Scale I picked up over the weekend. It's the Pride of Pay N Pak Screaming Eagle outrigger style hydroplane that ran in 1969. What do ya think? It was not built from any type of kit, the guy hand built it from pictures and a newton blue print about 8 years ago, he said he ran it 3x. It's all Birch and Balsa. The workmanship on this boat is incredible! I know someone on the board has one of these 1/8 scale hulls on the West Coast?? Hopefully they can share some tips??

Check it out in my gallery,

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...10264&pos=1

Josh-

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I know the original boat, didn't fare all that well back in 69. The guy I got it from said he only ran it a couple of times and that the boat ran really wet, but I don't think he took enough time to get the hull trimmed correctly. Regardless, I only paid $400 as it sits in the pictures so I've got a nice static display if nothing else.

Josh-

Thanks, I know the original boat, didn't fare all that well back in 69. The guy I got it from said he only ran it a couple of times and that the boat ran really wet, but I don't think he took enough time to get the hull trimmed correctly. Regardless, I only paid $400 as it sits in the pictures so I've got a nice static display is nothing else.

Josh-
****!! You better put on a mask 'cause ya stole it!! :p

I know I stole it! I had to sell off a couple of my other toys to get it, but I had to have it before someone else got to it! The guy must not be into the internet because I know he could have gotten double what I paid for it on Flea bay.

Josh-

I believe Glenn Burkard runs that same hull out in NAMBA District 9 (he is Glenn 787 here on intlwaters)..

From what I understand, it is a great running boat. A friend of mine out in Cali told me that Glenn was seeing consistent mid-60 mph numbers out of it.. The mph statements are all a bit jaded, but they have great running scales, and I am sure it is highly competitive.

Awesome Boat Josh!

I know I stole it! I had to sell off a couple of my other toys to get it, but I had to have it before someone else got to it! The guy must not be into the internet because I know he could have gotten double what I paid for it on Flea bay.

Josh-

I seen that boat at the GM Tech Center Race , this guy was selling it there but no takers dont know why ? that is a very sweet boat, wanted it myself but couldnt swing it, you got a nice one at a very good deal good luck with her. chuck

Jay, I actually got it on radar in the mid 60's. You going to the Muncey?

That is a pretty boat!

A couple of things you need to check.

1) The length. In the plans its a little long. 43.25 - 45.25

2) The picture showing the back of the hull looks like you have a tunnel or two riding surfaces. You may have to change that. It's hard to tell the position of the strut but you might want to move it futher back.

Not sure what else to tell you until you run it and describe the problems your having. It took me over a year of testing and changing things to get it where it is today. Now its just playing with props and pipes to try and find more speed. Its running a MAC 67, black AB pipe and a modified X465 prop.

There's a couple of bouys that can confirm Glenn was doing 60+ :p Sorry Glenn I had to! Glenn's boat is fast though.

Glenn,

I don't doubt that it is doing mid-60's, it's just hard to believe it always from second hand sources.. I knew it had to run well for that certain person to speak so highly of it! :)

Doesn't look like I will make the Muncey. I am back in school at UTEP, and this semester is not looking like I will have the ability to take it lightly. With that in mind, the Muncey is out..

Jay

BTW: You ready for some football?

There's a couple of bouys that can confirm Glenn was doing 60+ :p Sorry Glenn I had to! Glenn's boat is fast though.

Glenn, Hi.. The boat measures 43.25 in total lenght, is that to long? The strut is about 3/4 of an inch forward of the transom. I have a couple of questions about ride surfaces on the sponsons. Hopefully we can chat??? Send me a PM? Thanks!! Josh-

So how many 1/8 scales are you aware of this boat?? I really like the fact that there are only a couple?? It makes it different then the Buds or the Elams I see at the races..

Josh-

Josh,

yup, it's too long and now the Kelly Blue Book value of your boat is only $125 in mint condition. However, I'd be willing to be kind enough to give you back the $400 so you won't be upset...... ;) :lol: :lol:

There's a couple of bouys that can confirm Glenn was doing 60+
Bouys, boats, big white boxes....bad habit I got into :(

JayBTW: You ready for some football?
I'm ready :) What do you think of my team. Autodraft plus I got last pick. I think I dumped all my defensive players. Also gambling on a lot of rookies. I might be going down in flames!

Glenn, Hi.. The boat measures 43.25 in total lenght, is that to long? The strut is about 3/4 of an inch forward of the transom. I have a couple of questions about ride surfaces on the sponsons. Hopefully we can chat??? Send me a PM? Thanks!! Josh-
So how many 1/8 scales are you aware of this boat?? I really like the fact that there are only a couple?? It makes it different then the Buds or the Elams I see at the races..
Length sounds good. My strut is about flush with the back of the transom.

I know of at least 5 Paks on the West Coast. A guy in my district did mention a while ago the hardest running scale he'd ever seen was David Jensen's up in WA. http://www.rcunlimiteds.org/

Glenn, thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions once I get it rigged and wet for the 1st time.

Josh-

Would anyone happen to have photo's of the actual 69 Pride of Pay N Pak? I have a few pictures that came with the boat, however they are not the best quality. I'm really looking for frontal details of the nose and details of the drivers cockpit.. There are some nice pictures on the Newton photo site, but I'm looking for some more detail.

Josh-

Would anyone happen to have photo's of the actual 69 Pride of Pay N Pak? I have a few pictures that came with the boat, however they are not the best quality. I'm really looking for frontal details of the nose and details of the drivers cockpit.. There are some nice pictures on the Newton photo site, but I'm looking for some more detail.

Josh-
Hi Josh..

I saw the hull that you bought at the Tech center race, nice hull! I don't know if this will help you for detail pictures, but I just picked up a DVD from a guy in Seattle, and it shows the 69 Pak rigger running. If you're interested, I'll send you the info for him.

Steve Ball

Back