CG for a 1/8th Velasko Hull???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddieh

Hey Fellas, well I am placing my equipment in my Velasko 1/8th, where is a good CG? the configuration that seems to be ok is about 1-1 1/2 behind the sponson is this all right? I am running electric by the way..

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see it at the sponson --max 1/4 inch behind

Regards

Henry
Thanks Henry, the Build is coming out great, I won't forget to send you some pics, Mike Mcknight is doing the graphics, and if all goes well I Hope to have a great showing at the electric NAmba Nats in September...

That actually is better then I thought... it will be easier to make it at the sponson

Eddie i think you'll find the faster you go the further forward the CG needs to be. I highly recomend a curved fin to keep her planted & running right side up.

Looks like Raptor has one now too. I would suspect an electric SAW record may be in the works for Valasco hulls.

KRJoye

I would like to see it at the sponson --max 1/4 inch behind

Regards

Henry
Thanks Henry, the Build is coming out great, I won't forget to send you some pics, Mike Mcknight is doing the graphics, and if all goes well I Hope to have a great showing at the electric NAmba Nats in September...

That actually is better then I thought... it will be easier to make it at the sponson

Hey Ken, When you get that controller software updated, LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!

Eddie i think you'll find the faster you go the further forward the CG needs to be.

Looks like Raptor has one now too. I would suspect an electric SAW record may be in the works for Valasco hulls.
Now Ken, what would ever give you that idea :rolleyes:

Eddie, you wouldn't believe how far forward I run the CG on the little shovels.

Wow, the Snowman running a 1/8th..... wahoo!!!!!!!!!!. everything is working well with the cf reinforcement, the 2280 sits nice and I am about to cut holes in the bottom for the stuffing tube, she'll be ready for the Nats... I decided to run a slight s curve, and with the cells in a good location with room to move up about an inch or so I get the cg on the sponson backs, that is without the flotation etc, I figure I will be at around 12-13 pounds all up weight.... I am going to run a curved fin.. ken how far from the transom did you cut the slot for the tube to pass through??

Wow, the Snowman running a 1/8th..... wahoo!!!!!!!!!!.
The hull arrived yesterday (took a while to clean the drool off)!!! This is going to be so much fun. It's a nice piece of molding, it certainly isn't going to take much body work to make it really smooth.

The big hull sure makes the power system look small doesn't it? All I can say is this is going to take a beefy turnfin bracket!

Speaking of turnfins. What material and thickness should I be looking at?

SNOWMAN depends on how much & what kind of power your puttin in? Hint

You should be safe with a 1/4 alum angle for the brkt and 1/16 T6 alum curved fin, thats what i run. Stainless is just to heavy.

Just tested today with my new TMM 160 amp speedo today. You were right it Rocks with NEU power!

EDDIE the slot is centered about 6.75" from the transom use slight S-bend. Mount your motor on a slight angle just kissing the bottom to cut the bend down.

Ken

Wow, the Snowman running a 1/8th..... wahoo!!!!!!!!!!.
The hull arrived yesterday (took a while to clean the drool off)!!! This is going to be so much fun. It's a nice piece of molding, it certainly isn't going to take much body work to make it really smooth.

The big hull sure makes the power system look small doesn't it? All I can say is this is going to take a beefy turnfin bracket!

Speaking of turnfins. What material and thickness should I be looking at?

SNOWMAN depends on how much & what kind of power your puttin in? Hint

You should be safe with a 1/4 alum angle for the brkt and 1/16 T6 alum curved fin, thats what i run. Stainless is just to heavy.

Just tested today with my new TMM 160 amp speedo today. It Rocks with NEU power!

Ken
Power? Just a little motor. After talking to Steve about it, I decided to try a 1527/1.5Y (I've also got a 1Y for SAW's :D ). 860 kV and just slightly shorter than a 2280 Lehner. 2 oz lighter than a BAM with essentially unlimited RPM capability (rotor's good to at least 60K). If that doesn't work, 1.5Y BAM is next. It will be setup to handle either 32 NiMH or 8-10S LiPo. ESC is a 40-160, what else.

Yep the 1527 1.5 on 1x32 should be a rocket, that motor has many advantages over the lehner. Should easily get you into the sixtys in oval trim. Do you have the coupler worked out yet? I'm going to need one for next season.LOL

Ken

Power? Just a little motor. After talking to Steve about it, I decided to try a 1527/1.5Y (I've also got a 1Y for SAW's :D ). 860 kV and just slightly shorter than a 2280 Lehner. 2 oz lighter than a BAM with essentially unlimited RPM capability (rotor's good to at least 60K). If that doesn't work, 1.5Y BAM is next. It will be setup to handle either 32 NiMH or 8-10S LiPo. ESC is a 40-160, what else.

Man Brian wish you were coming to the Nats... And Ken you know I want you to Kick Azz..... as for the turn fin I was thinking along the lines of .090 7075 aluminum or .062 stainless steel, Some guys are running up to 1/4" mounting bracket, but I was influenced by Ken's thinking, wouldn't I rather have the fin get ripped off sorta easy then destroying the whole back of the sponson, I am using 1/8th angle for mounting

Ken Thanx for the info as always!!!!!!!!!

BTW this was my homemade fin on my 80 budweiser

I will make a similar fin for my velasko hull

80_Bud_Ready_006.jpg

Ken,

I'll let you know how the coupler issue turns out in a couple days. If everything goes well it will be an easy fix. I'm going to run 3/16" cable. The motor is an absolute animal for it's size. I've got a 3080 Lehner in the shop for another project, it's WAY overkill for an 1/8th I think (I could be wrong).

Eddie,

You build such nice hardware. I figured .090 7075 would work, I'm going with 1/4 material for the bracket (I've been bending 1/8" on my O sport). I won't have this ready by the nats anyway. It will be ready for LA in November. The nitro record is 77 and change. It'll be interesting to see if I can get there or not. I have to get into some prop sizes I don't normally play with.

This is the first project I've actually looked forward to painting in a long time.

Eddie,

You build such nice hardware. I figured .090 7075 would work, I'm going with 1/4 material for the bracket (I've been bending 1/8" on my O sport).....
Brian, here is a mount I made from half an old octura motormount, it is light and plety strong, this one I just made for my velasko, and I don't think I can bend this, the blade is .090

octura4.jpg

side view... I removed a lot of the material, but this is super super strong while still being light, I sharpened the bottom edges so as to avoid spray pushing up on it

octura3.jpg

Front of it

not the best job I have ever done but I am under pressure LOL...

octura2.jpg

well here is the finished piece and the other half of the donor, just thought I would share the idea, these mounts are cheap on ebay, and since I don't have any gas boats, and I got some of this stuff in a lot sale thought I would use it.... you can get two mounts per motor mount by the way and actually it cleams up pretty easy..

octura5.jpg

Eddie,

I don't know where you get the time, but that looks fantastic. Bonus points for recycling old parts!

Eddie , fantastic work (as usual), cant wait to see some pics of your new build, Snowman too B)

Back