Caspari strut depth

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltr

Hey gang,

Can anyone out there help me the depth of the strut for my Caspari SJ?

I've been playing with strut angles but this thing is still way too loose.

I'm fixing a bunch of damage from the last blow off and just want to make sure I'm not chasing my tail because of strut depth.

With the shoes in the back, I'm just not sure if it should be set up like a Rigger / Tunnel or with it deeper like a sport hydro, the way I have it now.

Right now it's 1.062" from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the strut with quite a bit of negative and a real handfull.

Thanks!!

Hey gang,
Can anyone out there help me the depth of the strut for my Caspari SJ?

I've been playing with strut angles but this thing is still way too loose.

I'm fixing a bunch of damage from the last blow off and just want to make sure I'm not chasing my tail because of strut depth.

With the shoes in the back, I'm just not sure if it should be set up like a Rigger / Tunnel or with it deeper like a sport hydro, the way I have it now.

Right now it's 1.062" from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the strut with quite a bit of negative and a real handfull.

Thanks!!
What hull do you race and do you mean the Caspari of Thunderboats Reproduction?

Walt you might be a little shallow. Go 1" from the bottom of the boat to the top of the barrell of the strut on the front then 1 1/16" at the back of the strut. That should settle it down a little unless the hull is just packing way to much air but use that as a starting point and play with it from there.

Thanks Mike

I'm way too shallow.

We'll fix her up and try again

And yes, the boat is a Caspari, of Thunderboats Reproduction, Smokin' Joe's.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I ran my 94 Smokin Joes, (its one of Don's older hulls), I had the bottom of the flat bottom strut at the front set at 1-1/2" and the rear of the strut at 1-11/16" as measured from the bottom of the hull. The strut is 1-13/16" long so you can see the amount of negative angle there is. It stayed on the water really nice with no blow-over tendancies.....I would say you need to go deeper.....

Back