carbon fiber cloth

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_hedlund

Hello

I need to reinforce the cowl on my 83 Miss atlas van line so i can mount the hardware to hold it to he boat. I was wondering if anyone has tried buying carbon fiber cloth on e-bay, he is one of the auctions. e-bay

I'm very reluctant, price seem too good to be true. I think regular 6 oz fiberglass will be fine, but i would like to play around with some carbon fiber.

Thanks in advance

HelloI need to reinforce the cowl on my 83 Miss atlas van line so i can mount the hardware to hold it to he boat. I was wondering if anyone has tried buying carbon fiber cloth on e-bay, he is one of the auctions. e-bay

I'm very reluctant, price seem too good to be true. I think regular 6 oz fiberglass will be fine, but i would like to play around with some carbon fiber.

Thanks in advance

I have bought stuff on ebay.. just look at there feed back is about all you can go on really..

Here is where i buy it http://www.cstsales.com/

you can also try a place called carbcom.

Carbon is getting harder and harder to get so if you find a deal get it while you can.

Just remember if you have any sort of curves or angles that you are going to put the carbon on it takes a little bit more work to get it to lay well.. make sure you use plenty of resin to wet it out before you apply it to the piece.

chris

Try to find the 4HS weave not the plain weave the plain weave can be pretty stiff and harder to work with.

If you have a flat sheet to make it would be ok but wont go around a corner very well. The 6oz weight is what most have, I think there is some lighter weight cloth but it is scarce.

I would not use carbon in your application. While it is very stiff, it fractures much easier than glass. You can bend glass further and it will spring back, carbon will fail. I once used it in a cowl. The first blow over the carbon failed. I cut out the broken carbon section and put the cowl back in the mold and repaired it with 6oz. glass and the cowl never had another problem. carbon has many uses, just not sure this is a good one.

I would not use carbon in your application. While it is very stiff, it fractures much easier than glass. You can bend glass further and it will spring back, carbon will fail. I once used it in a cowl. The first blow over the carbon failed. I cut out the broken carbon section and put the cowl back in the mold and repaired it with 6oz. glass and the cowl never had another problem. carbon has many uses, just not sure this is a good one.
Mark you are correct. I too have been there done that. I just built one of my sport20 hydros with some of the new graphite/kevlar 6 oz. it has the stiffness but the kevlar let it flex with out fracture.. I hope :unsure:

PHIL T

Thanks for the information, i think I'm going to just use some plywood to make a bulkhead, to give me some where to attach the cabinet latch.

Tom

Back