BUD T-4 pics

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

I need a few more pics, its ready for the painter and i need decal placement. I know buy a sheet.surely someone has enough pics Thanks Mikey PS a good shot of the bottom near the transom would be nice also

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike shoot me you email addy and I'll send you some.
Thanks Mike its [email protected] im ready to use those decals i got from you Mikey

What year ? Race? The Bud boats have always been a little confusing. They'd bring 2 boats to a race and run both in testing generally. I haven't followed the boats for a while so I need a refresher on what boat ran when.

Jim V

Thanks Mike its [email protected] im ready to use those decals i got from you Mikey

What year ? Race? The Bud boats have always been a little confusing. They'd bring 2 boats to a race and run both in testing generally. I haven't followed the boats for a while so I need a refresher on what boat ran when.

Jim V
its the 94 t-4 bi wing i think it only raced in Madison but im sure if im wrong someone will correct me. I need pics in its race configuration not the last pics where the front wing was added to make it look like the t-5. More and more guys are starting to take pics at races in the hot pits thats what helps esp if the strut was extended........Mikey

I need a few more pics, its ready for the painter and i need decal placement. I know buy a sheet.surely someone has enough pics Thanks Mikey PS a good shot of the bottom near the transom would be nice also

Here's one. If this woks...

Jim V
its the 94 t-4 bi wing i think it only raced in Madison but im sure if im wrong someone will correct me. I need pics in its race configuration not the last pics where the front wing was added to make it look like the t-5. More and more guys are starting to take pics at races in the hot pits thats what helps esp if the strut was extended........Mikey
Mike you are correct. I have a real good pic at home, I'll sent it to you tonight. The T-4 with front mini canards wings they only tested once or the display full length front wing is not legal.

Jim V
Mike you are correct. I have a real good pic at home, I'll sent it to you tonight. The T-4 with front mini canards wings they only tested once or the display full length front wing is not legal.
Yup, they tested the front wings at Detroit. I never saw it with the full front wing. I just located my slide files from '93 and '94 (they were missing for a while - go figure - how? - my mind is sometimes like a rat's nest - it's a terrible thing to waste). I've got quite a few shots of this boat and will get a selection and post them later tonight.

JimV

I know we covered this in a thread a while back but that boat only ran one race and that was Madison in '95 with Mark Evans behind the wheel. The boat didn't run with any kind of front wing but id DID have a rear horizontal untit the final heat where it didn't because it broke 2 wings at that race and they didn't have another.

I know we covered this in a thread a while back but that boat only ran one race and that was Madison in '95 with Mark Evans behind the wheel. The boat didn't run with any kind of front wing but id DID have a rear horizontal untit the final heat where it didn't because it broke 2 wings at that race and they didn't have another.
Good greif, that was '95? Mark ran the daylights out of that boat at Madison. It took a beating in turn 1 and coming out of turn 1. The infamous rollers / holes exiting turn 1 did a job on it. The boat did not cary the transom through the turn very well.

Yeah Mark drove it because Chip was having some physical and psychological problems. The reason they ran the T-4 was Chip crashed the T3 the previous race and was still having some back problems. He actually qualified the T-4 at Madison at over 160. This also about the time when Chip was having serious problems with throat and voice. He was having trouble speaking and he was also have bouts of depression because of it. After a lot of searching he finally found a doctor that knew what it was and to this day he still has to get cortizone injections in his throat several times a year or he can't speak.

Yeah Mark drove it because Chip was having some physical and psychological problems. The reason they ran the T-4 was Chip crashed the T3 the previous race and was still having some back problems. He actually qualified the T-4 at Madison at over 160. This also about the time when Chip was having serious problems with throat and voice. He was having trouble speaking and he was also have bouts of depression because of it. After a lot of searching he finally found a doctor that knew what it was and to this day he still has to get cortizone injections in his throat several times a year or he can't speak.

I sent you a few pics as well as some comments.

Harry

I believe the race before Madison that year was Detroit where the Bud barrel rolled over the Winston in the first turn of the final.

The T4 did not run with rear winglets at Madison or a front wing. By the way, the T4 ran more than fast enough in Detroit to qualify. It even ran towards the end of qualifying without the front wing and rear winglets (Madison configuration).

I'll post photos this evening. It took longer than I thought to scan the slides last night.

I believe the race before Madison that year was Detroit where the Bud barrel rolled over the Winston in the first turn of the final.

The T4 did not run with rear winglets at Madison or a front wing. By the way, the T4 ran more than fast enough in Detroit to qualify. It even ran towards the end of qualifying without the front wing and rear winglets (Madison configuration).

I'll post photos this evening. It took longer than I thought to scan the slides last night.
One item of interest that I noticed while looking at the slides of the T4 was the shaft angle change (strut change) from Detroit to Madison. I'm assuming it was a shaft angle change as the strut was well under the transom in Detroit and was moved aft for Madison. The strut had a decidedly aft rake putting the end of the strut behind the transom (Detroit strut did not have this aft rake). If the strut moved back and the engine stayed the same the shaft angle decreased. If the drive system and engine moved aft, the CG of the boat moved aft. The boat did appear to run with the tail down more in Madison than in Detroit.

The main drift of this is that the end of the strut was behind the transom for those of you who want to move their props further aft (long drive dog symptom :) ).

JimV

Jim or others,

Do any of you have pictures that show the T4 in race configuration of the following areas - or could comment on?

1. Rear of cowl - I have photos from a test session that show a non-vented cowl. I have also seen a picture that shows it later in life with a vented cowl. Which is correct?

2. Right Rear Shoe - all the photos I have are either in the water or on the trailer tilted. None show a good view of what the bottom of this looked like. I know if it is not the same as the left side.

3. Turbine Tube - was the angle cut at the rear straight or kind of scallopped?

4. Sponson tips - photos from a test session show the boat with more defined edges on where the bottom surfaces met the deck. Later photos show this with a greater radius where the tips are more rounded. Not sure if this an optical ilussion of the photos or was change made somewhere along the line.

Fianl question - to make this boat legal, should it have the rear winglets on or off?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold

One item of interest that I noticed while looking at the slides of the T4 was the shaft angle change (strut change) from Detroit to Madison. I'm assuming it was a shaft angle change as the strut was well under the transom in Detroit and was moved aft for Madison. The strut had a decidedly aft rake putting the end of the strut behind the transom (Detroit strut did not have this aft rake). If the strut moved back and the engine stayed the same the shaft angle decreased. If the drive system and engine moved aft, the CG of the boat moved aft. The boat did appear to run with the tail down more in Madison than in Detroit.

The main drift of this is that the end of the strut was behind the transom for those of you who want to move their props further aft (long drive dog symptom :) ).

JimV

thats a awsome looking boat. I wish could find a good scale hull of this boat. I had one but, it really wasn't that scale so I sold it. It was close but, not exactly what I was looking for. Who made the hull in the pic above?

thats a awsome looking boat. I wish could find a good scale hull of this boat. I had one but, it really wasn't that scale so I sold it. It was close but, not exactly what I was looking for. Who made the hull in the pic above?
I believe thats a Sheperd hull built by Don Ferrette. Mines a Baker, sponsons feel strong as does the rest of the hull Waiting on a second cowl then its off to the paint Gods Mike

I believe thats a Sheperd hull built by Don Ferrette. Mines a Baker, sponsons feel strong as does the rest of the hull Waiting on a second cowl then its off to the paint Gods Mike
I have built both a DPS & a Thunderboat Reproductions hull previously but the one in the pic was not built by me. I will try to find some of my built pics of both & post them this evening. BTW- I am in the middle of a second Thunderboat Repro build (actually a re-build of Bill Diedrich's old T-4) so this will make number 3-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=685

B)

Latest posts

Back