Boat starter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Ballard

Howdy fellas, new guy back again. Ok, so I took your alls advice , orderd my props and got this boat together. This is when I learned that a hobbico starter that we use to start dads boat with a .21 will not even try to start my boat .80. The starter says it is rated for a .90 but that's a joke! Any how, what starter and belt should I be looking for? Right now I have a 19" octura belt and the "toy" starter I mentioned above. O' and I did try to loosen the glow plug and letting the belt slip before tightening up on it to try and get it to turn over, still no dice...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Brad, tried the car battery and diden't help. Thinking I am going to have to break down and buy a good starter.

If you're looking at new, get one rated for both 12 and 24 volts if at all possible. I have an older Sullivan that, using only one 7AH gelcell willl "just" start my CMB 67s in my scale hydros

I am looking at a Sullivan model 4 boat starter. Says it is 12-24 volts and comes with a handle. Thinking it should work, now just have to talk to my banker aka wife! Ha ha!

I am looking at a Sullivan model 4 boat starter. Says it is 12-24 volts and comes with a handle. Thinking it should work, now just have to talk to my banker aka wife! Ha ha!
That is a great starter. Bullet proof, no need to buy an add-on handle. Get two motor cycle batteries for 24 volt

I have used this setup for years

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry's right!! That starter or the Sullivan Dynatron and a good car battery will start every boat in the pits all day long & you won't have to loosen any glow plugs.

Mr. Carl has hooked me up with a sullivan. Thanks guys for all your help! So looking forward to geting this boat in the water and all the help from the fellows on this site is making the learning curve way better!

Back