Boat setup help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscrash

Supporting Member
I just read Al Hobbs thread about turbo glow plugs and it made me think about boat racing in general. I have been racing since 2005. And almost twenty years later I am still a novice. I race rc off-road and oval in the off season for the past 4 years. My knowledge of car setup in both classes of car racing definitely supersedes my understating of boat set up. The amount of information for car racing general setup explanations and specific setup is extremely abundant online. I spent 4 hours online this week trying to understand boat strut depth, props, pipe length, needle settings and everything in between. This weekend a seasoned racer asked if I was pinching water to my head on the sport 40. What?!?!?

I know the variables in boat racing are immense. But it would be great to have dedicated pages to specific classes of boat racing that could help a new person get more ideas to help them succeed. Or even general pages to understanding nitro and gas boat setups.

Joe Petro has a great explanation for his specific pipe which I have started to use for other gas pipe setups.

I have raced rc cars, planes, and boats. Rc boat racing is by far the most challenging even when the boat is working as it should.

The point of this whole rambling is that if I was a brand new boating guy in a club of me and me alone, where could I go and find set up advice? This may be a dumb post. But I’m still lost after 20 years of boating. I’m not lost in rc car racing.

Unfortunately boats and cars are different animals as far as one set up fits most. Nitro engines alone can take years to understand. The good news is that modern engines are pretty well sorted. You do not need to do a bunch of modifications. This Forum is a great source of info. Do searches for random things. I will search things like head button or bearing all of the time and just start reading threads. The best way to learn is to go to the pond and adjust things. If you have an experienced racer to help, it will speed things up. But having great help and the best equipment will only get you so far. Most people still need a good amount of time to really learn things. A very few step in and are consistent front runners. Your profile says the you are in Indiana. There are a bunch of great racers up there. If you need to, travel to run with them. You will learn more in a few hours than you would by yourself for a weekend.

the strut always wants to be level with the water surface. move it down the transom rides higher. give it positive the bow rides higher. it always matches the water surface.

as for pinching the water line you have to close the water flow down dramatically or the cylinder over-cools. nitro needs heat. I guess it helps to be in a club with seasoned people you pick that up almost immediately. Run the water line through a remote 3rd channel needle and use a flow meter on it if you want to be fancy.

I just read Al Hobbs thread about turbo glow plugs and it made me think about boat racing in general. I have been racing since 2005. And almost twenty years later I am still a novice. I race rc off-road and oval in the off season for the past 4 years. My knowledge of car setup in both classes of car racing definitely supersedes my understating of boat set up. The amount of information for car racing general setup explanations and specific setup is extremely abundant online. I spent 4 hours online this week trying to understand boat strut depth, props, pipe length, needle settings and everything in between. This weekend a seasoned racer asked if I was pinching water to my head on the sport 40. What?!?!?

I know the variables in boat racing are immense. But it would be great to have dedicated pages to specific classes of boat racing that could help a new person get more ideas to help them succeed. Or even general pages to understanding nitro and gas boat setups.

Joe Petro has a great explanation for his specific pipe which I have started to use for other gas pipe setups.

I have raced rc cars, planes, and boats. Rc boat racing is by far the most challenging even when the boat is working as it should.

The point of this whole rambling is that if I was a brand new boating guy in a club of me and me alone, where could I go and find set up advice? This may be a dumb post. But I’m still lost after 20 years of boating. I’m not lost in rc car racing.
You can always ask your buddy in Louisville to meet you at the Huber pond one day and help out.

Chris.. this has a bunch to do with just the volume of RC Car racing there is -vrs- how much boat racing there is.

It will never catch up.. that part of this hobby will always be at a disadvantage.

GOOD PEOPLE make a huge difference however. NOT GIVING IT AWAY.. but encouraging you to stick hard at it.. and when one make strides.. hands go into pockets and start handing you props... (I know), or setups, or driving tips. (NEVER ignore the fast guys conversations). I never do.. you know this...

We ALL WORK very hard to get boats to behave.. as MUCH work as this hobby is it also brings a MASSIVE benefit (scale model Helicopters are not to far off from this either).. VERY limited activity.. = hard work and tons of learning.. comes with MASSIVE benefits.

Grim

Mr. Tooth Fairy book your weekend at the pond, your buds will help you get better. Well except for that sport 40 its a dam beast already

Latest posts

Back