belly pan on ml7931 gas scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffaustin

Deciding if i need a belly pan, i know i can run a rcmk k-30rz without one,i also realize i can get the motor lower in the hull, is it worth the extra effort running a belly pan?opinions?thanks

Hope to sheet bottom tomorrow

The benefit of running a belly pan, as you've probably already determined, is a lower CG and not having to cut a hole through the top of the cowl to clear the spark plug and wire, in most cases anyway. As far as the effort needed to install a belly pan being worth it or not, that's a question only you can really answer. If it were my boat, I probably would as it COULD make a later engine swap to a larger/taller model easier since the additional clearance would already be built into the boat. Hopefully this helps you in deciding, the belly pan rule as written in the NAMBA rulebook:

iv) Motor belly pan for motor and flywheel only. If applicable, the

dimensions will not exceed five inches in width, nine inches in

length, and one inch in depth. The belly pan can not exceed the depth

of any riding surface or recovery surface. If the real boat had a full

length belly pan, the model must conform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,you may want to consider a belly pan if you are using a speedmaster starter pulley on the collet end of the engine.If you do you will have to have the engine high enough off the hull bottom to put the belt on the pulley and pull it off.I have a Bud T-6 with a K-30 RZ,and no problem since it is a turbine style hull.

hey harv i met you in evansville, the ml kit already has the rails for the belly pan, guess i will use it, just wanted some input on performance and such

Jeff,good hearing from you.My interprtation of a belly pan would be a depression below the tub bottom in the engine area.I could be wrong,but the tub bottom on your boat in the engine area appears to be at the bottom of the engine rails or tub sides.At this point you would have to modify the bottom of the tub if you want or need a belly pan.

I don't have any performance data since I have a different hull.

It's great that you're making progress on your boat.Let's "git her done"so we can have enough boats for a full heat next year.

Jeff,good hearing from you.My interprtation of a belly pan would be a depression below the tub bottom in the engine area.I could be wrong,but the tub bottom on your boat in the engine area appears to be at the bottom of the engine rails or tub sides.At this point you would have to modify the bottom of the tub if you want or need a belly pan.

I don't have any performance data since I have a different hull.

It's great that you're making progress on your boat.Let's "git her done"so we can have enough boats for a full heat next year.
Harvey, did you get your T-6 repaired and repainted?

Sam,I don't want to steal Jeff's thread,but I ran the T-6 in Knoxville a few weekends with the duct tape in place to try different adjustments.I've since started repairing the boat.Painting is still sometime away,but hope to have it ready for Evansville next year.

Hey Jeff,

Here is a pic of what John Olson did for a belly pan on his modified ML U -95 for Pacific NW Thunderboat Association.

The NAMBA rules were submitted by this group, and I would say their own rules are more specific than any approved or anticipated rules being considered. Hope this helps you out. CHEERS !!! Bob

Tim Strange brought his Zenoah and his RCMK-30rz, Both will fit using the center rails as belly pan, the kit has dotted lines to cut off rails if belly pan isnt used,He also brought me some more 1/4inch spruce stock........i love that guy

Back