Be Careful Using a Print Shop to Make Copys

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

Well, I was initiated into the world of model boat building yesterday. I'm trying to build the 88 Miller High Life boat from Roger Newtons plans. I ran into my first mistake last night. I had taken the original plans to a local print shop to make a copy to cut out for the frame pieces. I finished cuting the last piece and was getting ready to assemble for the dry fit, when I thought I would overlay the pieces on the original plans to double check the sizes. Well when the copied the prints something went wrong. My pieces were bigger and longer than the original plans. The sponson side and engine bay sides are 3/8" longer than the original prints.

I was going to try to modify the pieces to fit but the sponson frames are all distorted and dont want to compound any problems later. So I have begun to start over and by tracing the original plans on vellum. I'm not so mad about the money and time. I'm mad at myself for not checking before I started. So the purpose of this post is that if you get copy's of your prints check before start spending time cuting out those pieces. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take the plans and copies back to the print shop and insist that they either do it right or give you your money back.

I was going to do that, but then thought about it and decided to count my loses. The whole mistake cost me about $45.00. The print cost $5.00. I would probably use more in gas to take them back. I am going to give them a call so they know thier prints are not that accurate. Just a minor set back, if this is the biggest mistake I make I'll be happy.

I'll copy them on vellum. I have been a designer (draftsman) for number of years just have to dust off my tools and get to work. Should have done it that way in the first place.

You don't have to copy the plans at all. Just put carbon paper on the wood and trace the lines. Put some glue on your pencil tip so it doesn't actually draw a line...just an indent is all you need. Just another way to do it.

Brian

Back