Are electric hydros allowed to run with nitro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

Hello , I have a question that may seem stupid but are eletric boats allowed to race with nitro boats. I am planning to run 1/8 scale hydroplane but go electric instead of nitro. I have seen FE scale and they can run with the nitro guys but are they allowed to or if not in an open class maybe. i figure if the speeds are close then it still give even field but i dont know of the impba rules if its allowed :huh: Thank you

Hello , I have a question that may seem stupid but are eletric boats allowed to race with nitro boats. I am planning to run 1/8 scale hydroplane but go electric instead of nitro. I have seen FE scale and they can run with the nitro guys but are they allowed to or if not in an open class maybe. i figure if the speeds are close then it still give even field but i dont know of the impba rules if its allowed :huh: Thank you
I don't believe that an electric boat can legally run in an IMPBA event against other nitro boats, but I would like to run against you in one of our club races. And I'm sure other boaters would want to race with you also. I have to ask, Is there a reason you want to go electric? Is there an electric club near you. If not, you might want to reconsider and run nitro. You'll have more fun racing against others...

Bigbird

I always like the scale hydros and wanted one but and please dont take offense im not a big fan of the nitro. it may be a bit less expensive to get and engine, but with electric its not much work like getting it tuned in, gas and i heard that its gone up in price and getting hard to find, less parts just one servo to the three that i have seen, Not to say that electric motors are easy or cheap and can burn up if to much is put on them and the esc I have seen scale electric hydros Its new and different. I like to run with the others if they were ok with it but i think it may seen that i have an advantage but if i can get it to run the same speed it be ok. In all its just for fun maybe run it to show it but not race. I have seen great looking boats go to race and come back with holes but thats part of racing, it may just be a show boat and if its possible i may go to races that have FE and race it. I still have some stuff to learn about the scale area but in the end its just to have fun with.

Very expensive fun lol :D

One of the significant problems with electric is how to keep them even. For example, in scale hydro you run a .67 inboard marine motor. Everyone runs a .67 11cc motor. You can pick your own brand, modify it or not, but is still limited to .67 11cc.

Someone comes out with an electric motor to race. Is the electric motor exactly comparable to a .67 nitro? I don't know. If it is but isn't as fast, when do you have to stop adding batteries that may make it faster and not equal?

Even if the number of batteries is limited, it still becomes just another battery war, just as it often is in racing 10 scale electric cars.

One of the significant problems with electric is how to keep them even. For example, in scale hydro you run a .67 inboard marine motor. Everyone runs a .67 11cc motor. You can pick your own brand, modify it or not, but is still limited to .67 11cc.
Someone comes out with an electric motor to race. Is the electric motor exactly comparable to a .67 nitro? I don't know. If it is but isn't as fast, when do you have to stop adding batteries that may make it faster and not equal?

Even if the number of batteries is limited, it still becomes just another battery war, just as it often is in racing 10 scale electric cars.
I agree but like in 1/10 car racing you can limited the number of voltage (lipo's have different number of cells than nimh's) but you can also make a rule where only for example 6 turns brushless motors are allowed and not what happens now that everyone picks his own wind and batteries. Here is an example of a ctamaran (I run the same hull in electrics) that electrics are very fast: 150km/u Hydro & Marine Agitator

The batterie war in carracing are a bit over now: most organizations allow Lipo's but there is a future of the new A123 cells which are safer than the current lipo's.

Back