Applying mohogany venier

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f16man

What sould I use to adhere the mohogany venier to the deck skin, I am thinking 3M super 77 or contact cement, It will be clear coated with PPG after decals and striping.?????

There was an article in the Model Boat Magazine, shortly before it went under about applying veneer to the decks of a boat,,,,, Can't remember what they used as adhesive.

You may be able to find the article on line somewhere.

Just a thought

Thanks for the quick reply I've been looking around but have'nt come up with any thing yet, I'm thinking that the super77 is perminent when sealed off with the clear coat.

I have done it several ways. I have used contact cement, coat the plank and the boat with it and wait 20 seconds then lay the plank. It had better be straight because you will not be able to move it at all. Clear the excess ASAP. I have also used CA. Be sure to apply to the edges as well as the back of the plank. Any CA on the face will leave a mark that cannot be sanded out. I use medium CA so it can be moved into place then spray it with kicker to set it. Some of my model building buddies use epoxy but they can only do one plank at a time and must wait overnight before setting the next. You will have to trim some of the planks as you go over curved surfaces. I use a plank vise to do this.

To finish I apply two or three coats of epoxy sometimes covering with 1/2 to 2 oz fiberglass material. Sand it smooth and apply any finish you like.

Planking is an art so good luck.

P1000080(1).JPG

Thanks guys ,that planking with the strips looks like a million bucks , The GALE V did not have the calking stripes so I will be using the veneer in full sheets , they are 6" wide 4 feet long african mohogany, about 1/64 thick so bending wont be an issue, Thanks guys and I'll put some pics up when I get her done......

Thanks guys ,that planking with the strips looks like a million bucks , The GALE V did not have the calking stripes so I will be using the veneer in full sheets , they are 6" wide 4 feet long african mohogany, about 1/64 thick so bending wont be an issue, Thanks guys and I'll put some pics up when I get her done......
I did a drop sponson T-boat in white oak stained, used paper backed veneer 24" wide. I cut and dry fit the pieces on the top deck, then glue down with 3M contact cement, used 2 coats. The sponsons I glued veneer on sheeting then installed. Top was a one shot deal, get it lined up right or it's junk. :( Pic is before first wet sanding after 1 st coat of epoxy.There's a seam down the middle of top, can't do it in one piece. It's tricky but can be done. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
3M77 is the spray glue 3M recommends for foams (like the foam rubber in sofas). I would recommend 3M90 if you haven't bought yet and can find it. It is very good stuff. Many cabinet supply houses sell a great grade of spray contact, now that the EPA has taken away all of the solvent contacts. The waterbased contacts are slow and don't stick well. The rattle can spray glues work great, but are pricey, at least they are fast. I would recommend the first sealer coat be a wipe on epoxy like West or Mas to block any solvents from getting at the contact glue line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done it several ways. I have used contact cement, coat the plank and the boat with it and wait 20 seconds then lay the plank. It had better be straight because you will not be able to move it at all. Clear the excess ASAP. I have also used CA. Be sure to apply to the edges as well as the back of the plank. Any CA on the face will leave a mark that cannot be sanded out. I use medium CA so it can be moved into place then spray it with kicker to set it. Some of my model building buddies use epoxy but they can only do one plank at a time and must wait overnight before setting the next. You will have to trim some of the planks as you go over curved surfaces. I use a plank vise to do this.

To finish I apply two or three coats of epoxy sometimes covering with 1/2 to 2 oz fiberglass material. Sand it smooth and apply any finish you like.

Planking is an art so good luck.

Joe,

Are you going to drop a Nova in that beauty and run it in the Mono class?
wink.gif

I'm thinking about it. Maybe a Turbine. It does run nice with a 700 brushed motor. Dave is building the same boat, Dumas 1930 Chris Craft.

One more glue to think about is Well Wood glue..I've used it on my shovelnoes (Thriftway) and I think that it works the best..Also used the 3 M prod.and it would seperate after awhile.

Latest posts

Back