Angle of Attack Notation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

Supporting Member
Please help me overcome my ignorance. I have a plan which gives the sponson angle of attack in the following notation:

"AOA = 3∘- 10 minutes"

Can someone explain the " - 10 minutes " for me? Thank you

Kevin

there are 60 min in every degree, i think, its just a smaller piece of a degree

Please help me overcome my ignorance. I have a plan which gives the sponson angle of attack in the following notation:
"AOA = 3∘- 10 minutes"

Can someone explain the " - 10 minutes " for me? Thank you

Kevin
Kevin, click on the link below and it will explain how to convert. You will need a scientific calculator to convert #s over to decimals. The minutes are used in siteing rifle scopes and in the machinist trade for setting up sign bars, Hope it helps you. What plans you looking at?

Joe

http://www.clarku.edu/%7Edjoyce/trig/angle.html

OPIO is correct. Here is the verbage from EDU:

Degrees may be further divided into minutes and seconds, but that division is not as universal as it used to be. Parts of a degree are now frequently referred to decimally. For instance seven and a half degrees is now usually written 7.5°. Each degree is divided into 60 equal parts called minutes. So seven and a half degrees can be called 7 degrees and 30 minutes, written 7° 30'. Each minute is further divided into 60 equal parts called seconds, and, for instance, 2 degrees 5 minutes 30 seconds is written 2° 5' 30". The division of degrees into minutes and seconds of angle is analogous to the division of hours into minutes and seconds of time.

Your 3 deg 10 min= 3.6

Joe

OPIO is correct. Here is the verbage from EDU:Degrees may be further divided into minutes and seconds, but that division is not as universal as it used to be. Parts of a degree are now frequently referred to decimally. For instance seven and a half degrees is now usually written 7.5°. Each degree is divided into 60 equal parts called minutes. So seven and a half degrees can be called 7 degrees and 30 minutes, written 7° 30'. Each minute is further divided into 60 equal parts called seconds, and, for instance, 2 degrees 5 minutes 30 seconds is written 2° 5' 30". The division of degrees into minutes and seconds of angle is analogous to the division of hours into minutes and seconds of time.

Your 3 deg 10 min= 3.6

Joe

Thanks Joe and OPIO,

I was just reading about minutes of angle when I finally remembered my high school geometry. Wow! Now I feel completely stupid after asking this question. Medical school really has made me dumb! :blink:

Joe wouldnt it be closer to 3.16 degrees? 3 degrees would be a good AOA. Get one of those cheap angle finders, talked about on a post he on IW, to check your frames before you glue the running pads on.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe I am working on my My Gypsy. I have finally fit my frames together and I see I have some issues I need to resolve that I did not consider earlier. Thanks again for your help, but I don't understand the calculation. By my figures I think my AOA would be 3.167????

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe I am working on my My Gypsy. I have finally fit my frames together and I see I have some issues I need to resolve that I did not consider earlier. Thanks again for your help, but I don't understand the calculation. By my figures I think my AOA would be 3.167????
Cheers,

Kevin
I have all thumbs on my right hand and and fat fingered the key board. HEHE

Cheers,

Kevin
I have all thumbs on my right hand and and fat fingered the key board. HEHE
LOL

Well after all this exercise, I have discovered that I am right on in terms of AOA. Got lucky on that one!

Back