Air Deflector on Bottom of My Hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

I'm in the proccess of redoing the hull on my 68 Bardahl. I have lowered the sponsons and made some other modifications. I removed a strip of Balsa from the front of the hull. It goes between the front of the sponsons and sits back from the nose 3 inches. It was dented up and figured I would replace it with something stronger. I'm assuming this is to deflect air, but in seems like it would want to lift the nose at high speeds. I'm new to this and was wondering what the purpose of this piece this has. I thought we wanted to keep the nose somewhat down to avoid blow overs. I have a couple of pictures in photo gallery under Bardahl Rebuild.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=668&pos=3

I'm in the proccess of redoing the hull on my 68 Bardahl. I have lowered the sponsons and made some other modifications. I removed a strip of Balsa from the front of the hull. It goes between the front of the sponsons and sits back from the nose 3 inches. It was dented up and figured I would replace it with something stronger. I'm assuming this is to deflect air, but in seems like it would want to lift the nose at high speeds. I'm new to this and was wondering what the purpose of this piece this has. I thought we wanted to keep the nose somewhat down to avoid blow overs. I have a couple of pictures in photo gallery under Bardahl Rebuild.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=668&pos=3

This decreases the lift. It disrupts the airflow through the tunnel which in turn will keep the nose down. if u put a larger chime (dam) in the tunnel about 6" from the nose, it will stay down even better.

Larry Jr.

Thanks Larry. The piece I removed had a 45 degree angle then dropped straight down. any suggestions for a better profile for the chim?

Back