Aeromarine sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

OK guys I stirred sh-t on Jim's boat dock when asking about the above boat. I really don't know the setup difference between F/E and nitro. I would like any input from the IW folks. Good or bad.

The hull needs some mods to handle the power plants of today. I like their stuff but this hull hasn't got the attention it deserves to keep up with the PT,Whips,Muck,and newer style sport 40's. The mods I have seen done are widening the hull,sponson ride pads, air trap mods, turn fin changes and relocations, and weight changes inside the sponsons.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good beginner boat. It was first boat I ran in sport 40. I do know that it flips on any left turn you make.

i am planning on running this boat in the sport 40 class, i do plan on making some changes to the sponsons, also i saw a vid of a guy running this hull as an FE and he made some stand offs to get the turnfin more to the outside of the sponsons. i have an OPS 45 that i plan on using for the power plant,i made provisions for putting fuel tanks in sponsons and putting the radio box in front of the engine. i also plan on building some wings for the hull....... just cause they look better

The way the hull is designed,the electric guys are happy running it with good success. Your asking a lot of that Ops motor to keep pace in a sport 40 heat race in that hull. There are too many other options with less work and better suited to be competitive.

Hey Ken,

The Aeromarine hull was notoriously heavy overall, and most were quite tail heavy. The battery weight forward has been a benefit for the FE guys I believe. Hey - - that was pretty Politically Correct - - - Very rare for me.

Using OPS 45, I would recommend you not hang tail feathers on it, and try to keep it as light as possible to enhance the OPS's performance.

Nothing wrong with OPS 45 for power, and the price is much better than new engines. You have one so I'd run that puppy.

My partner in Florida, ran the disk valve version - not drum valve newer one for many years.

He went to a difterent engine because the 2005 P/S set porting for the engine was changed significantly to include additional boost port cut into the piston and sleeve from the original configuration. This new porting seemed to like a PICCO carb with a .400 bore, better than the .430 bore Picco carb used with the original porting configuration. This prompted my partner to try the Picco blue head EXR, which we were unable to get repacement crank shafts and other parts for - - so Jack sold off all the PICCOs he owned , moving to CMB RS.

Jack had good results running the OPS 45 with a MACS/Prather Muffled Marine pipe, X 450/3. CHEERS !!! Bob

I'm not using OPS. That is jeffaustin. I'll be using and A/A 45. I did see a FE AM40 on Jim's Boat Dock that looked to be running bow high.In the video the hull looked to be running good and taking the turns at speed quite well. Time will tell. I'm almost ready.

Jeff, you didn't hijack it. I like all the feedback I can get. Enjoy knowing what other guys are doing. Be they good or bad I stlii enjoy reading them. My way of thinking is read all the comments, try the ones you think will work and ignore the rest.

my thoughts exactly, i have some paint left over from a locals boat i painted, i am going to do a similar paint scheme for this boat, one reason i plan on putting some lite weight removable wingsDSCF3148.JPG

Back