Aeromarine 1/8th scale hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach Davis

Supporting Member
I have an older hull (Miss Budweiser) that has not been drilled. I am in need of the instructions for this boat. If anyone has them or some tips that will help her run well please pass them on to me.

Thanks,

Zach

Last edited by a moderator:
SELL IT !!!!!!

Thanks for the advise. I was more interested in

1) whats a good turn fin?

2) whats a good strut and how to mount it?

3) where should the CG be?

This is not going to be a race boat. Just something to play with down to the pond.

Zach

[/quote(]1)Mike Hughes(on this forum) makes some nice curved alum. fins.

(2)Speedmaster mounted thru the bottom/ drive dog under the transom.(3) 1.5" aft of sponson transoms. I'm pretty green myself-if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will chime in :D Good luck, Glenn

[/quote(]1)Mike Hughes(on this forum) makes some nice curved alum. fins.

(2)Speedmaster mounted thru the bottom/ drive dog under the transom.(3) 1.5" aft of sponson transoms. I'm pretty green myself-if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will chime in :D Good luck, Glenn

Thanks Glen. This gives me some direction. Are the Round or Flat bottom struts better for Hydros?

Zach

Thanks Glen. This gives me some direction. Are the Round or Flat bottom struts better for Hydros?

Zach

I use round Zach

I had an old 1/8 scale Aeromarine hull....sorriest boat ive ever owned!!! if your just going to play with it and if it was anything like mine, dont put a strong motor in it!! do everything in your power to get the back of the boat out of the water...strut depth, angle, weight down the front....even if you do all of this there is still a good chance that you will be spending much of your time retrieving an upside down boat! I hate to sound so discouraging, but that was bar none the most FRUSTERATING boat i ever owned...maybe youll have better luck than i did...I wish you well.....Bill

I had an old 1/8 scale Aeromarine hull....sorriest boat ive ever owned!!! if your just going to play with it and if it was anything like mine, dont put a strong motor in it!! do everything in your power to get the back of the boat out of the water...strut depth, angle, weight down the front....even if you do all of this there is still a good chance that you will be spending much of your time retrieving an upside down boat! I hate to sound so discouraging, but that was bar none the most FRUSTERATING boat i ever owned...maybe youll have better luck than i did...I wish you well.....Bill
From the little info I have found, no one has had good luck with this hull. At this point I have the hull and most of the parts to put it together. I will give it a try. If nothing else it will be a lesson learned. Sounds like a prop with a lot of lift would be good and mounting the radio box in the front to get the CG foward. I dont discourage easy and appreciate any info I can get.

Thanks,

Zach :D

From the little info I have found, no one has had good luck with this hull. At this point I have the hull and most of the parts to put it together. I will give it a try. If nothing else it will be a lesson learned. Sounds like a prop with a lot of lift would be good and mounting the radio box in the front to get the CG foward. I dont discourage easy and appreciate any info I can get.

Thanks,

Zach :D
Excellent additue Zach, I don't race my boats either-just run em for fun. Shove all the weight as far forward as possiable(eng/tanks/radio gear) and keep the back as light as possiable. I've even gone to using carbon fibre for strut mounts/pushrods/pipe mount brackets/skid fins, etc.(anything aft of the sponson transoms). Mil spec locking nuts are lighter than nylocks-but harder to find. Good luck, Glenn :)

Since several member have had some problems with this boat , you might want to consider test running the boat before you paint it. That way if you have to drill a hole in the sponsoms to add weight you will not have to repaint it.

here is another place to get a turn fin fromAccu-Tech, I have one but i haven't tested yet.

If you plan on ever racing when mounting the strut your drive dog must not extend pass the transom.

"If you plan on ever racing when mounting the strut your drive dog must not extend pass the transom"
This is true in IMPBA

NAMBA you are allowed one drive dog length past transom
Thanks for the added info. The hull is already painted. It came that way. I just had to do some touch up and clear it. I think with the strut, it would be best to mount it with the drive dog so that it does not extend pass the transom. That would cover both sets of rules. I love the bud boat on the Accu-tech page. May be a good upgrade for a future project. ;) Any one have any suggestions on how far off the transom the rudder should be?

Happy Holidays

Zach

"If you plan on ever racing when mounting the strut your drive dog must not extend pass the transom"
This is true in IMPBA

Thanks for the added info. The hull is already painted. It came that way. I just had to do some touch up and clear it. I think with the strut, it would be best to mount it with the drive dog so that it does not extend pass the transom. That would cover both sets of rules. I love the bud boat on the Accu-tech page. May be a good upgrade for a future project. ;) Any one have any suggestions on how far off the transom the rudder should be?

Happy Holidays

Zach

This is true in IMPBA

Happy Holidays

Zach
Zach, I put the leading edge of the rudder 2" aft of the transom-not something I pulled out of a hat. Got this from a successful racer in the great N.W.

Happy holidays, Glenn

Please,

Do yourself a favor and listen to Joe on this. If you table this boat, you are going to find that the sponson angle, I think on the left sponson, not sure as it has been a while since I have done this, is way off, I mean way off! This boat will not run properly unless the sponsons are redone which is a major job. I do admire your attitude, but It would sure go easier with a hull that was built right in the first place such as a Phil Thomas or Joe Moceri hull. Ken

Please,Do yourself a favor and listen to Joe on this. If you table this boat, you are going to find that the sponson angle, I think on the left sponson, not sure as it has been a while since I have done this, is way off, I mean way off! This boat will not run properly unless the sponsons are redone which is a major job. I do admire your attitude, but It would sure go easier with a hull that was built right in the first place such as a Phil Thomas or Joe Moceri hull. Ken
I will check the sponsons out. Don't worry, I have a 1/8th scale that is built right. ;) Santa dropped it by last week. :D Thanks to all for the the advice. I will build her up and take good care of her. Got an engine that needs a home. See what happens.

Happy Holidays,

Zach

Please,Do yourself a favor and listen to Joe on this. If you table this boat, you are going to find that the sponson angle, I think on the left sponson, not sure as it has been a while since I have done this, is way off, I mean way off! This boat will not run properly unless the sponsons are redone which is a major job. I do admire your attitude, but It would sure go easier with a hull that was built right in the first place such as a Phil Thomas or Joe Moceri hull. Ken
I will check the sponsons out. Don't worry, I have a 1/8th scale that is built right. ;) Santa dropped it by last week. :D Thanks to all for the the advice. I will build her up and take good care of her. Got an engine that needs a home. See what happens.

Happy Holidays,

Zach
Ho, Ho , Ho :lol:

Hey Zach,

Is it the Miller American hull you have? I have one too but I am thinking of putting a gas engine in it. I have an old 22cc engine from a chainsaw which I stripped down back in my teens and dropped into a mono. That's how I originally got started in the sport. Pretty hit and miss I would say but it worked. My dad had made me a custom over the top muffler (looked like ram horns) and then he had it chromed for me. Loud, yes! Cool, definitely! It was definitely a lot of fun but eventually sat on the shelf for quite some time. I saved the engine and hardware and scrapped the rest. I got looking at the engine again and if you can believe it, it is pretty close to fitting inside the cowling of the Aeromarine Miller American hull I have. It's not that I want to be a gasser, it's just for fun. I know the angle of attack is off on the sponson's, but I have a few idea's to adjust that, and I think with the added weight of that gas engine in there, I should be fine. I guess I'll find out.

Anyway, good luck and keep me posted with your project.

Merry Christmas,

Dave Kidd : :D

Hey Zach,
Is it the Miller American hull you have? I have one too but I am thinking of putting a gas engine in it. I have an old 22cc engine from a chainsaw which I stripped down back in my teens and dropped into a mono. That's how I originally got started in the sport. Pretty hit and miss I would say but it worked. My dad had made me a custom over the top muffler (looked like ram horns) and then he had it chromed for me. Loud, yes! Cool, definitely! It was definitely a lot of fun but eventually sat on the shelf for quite some time. I saved the engine and hardware and scrapped the rest. I got looking at the engine again and if you can believe it, it is pretty close to fitting inside the cowling of the Aeromarine Miller American hull I have. It's not that I want to be a gasser, it's just for fun. I know the angle of attack is off on the sponson's, but I have a few idea's to adjust that, and I think with the added weight of that gas engine in there, I should be fine. I guess I'll find out.

Anyway, good luck and keep me posted with your project.

Merry Christmas,

Dave Kidd : :D
The one I have is the Miss Budweiser. I believe that it is the same hull with a different canopy. Mine would be to small to fit a gas engine into. I have a Picco and it just fits. I had to move the water inlets on the engine because they hit the sides. If you can get the gas engine into yours that would be great. Its awesome when you can bring old parts back to life. I will get her up and running and go from there. If the boat handles like garbage and I can get her to handle well with a sponson mod it would be an awesome learning experience. I am really interested in learning how the AOA and other changes to the set-up will change the ride of the boat. I have pic's in my gallery and will add to it as I build the boat. Please let me know how yours works for you.

Thanks,

Zach

Back