ABRA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so why is the season ending championship race in Dohar, Qatar???? At least the Thunder on the Ohio was separated from the Freedom Festival and saved but ending the racing season of the American Boat Racing Association in the middle east?? Holding an exhibition or even a regular race mid season is one thing but ending it there? What is up with that? :blink:

Ok so why is the season ending championship race in Dohar, Qatar???? At least the Thunder on the Ohio was separated from the Freedom Festival and saved but ending the racing season of the American Boat Racing Association in the middle east?? Holding an exhibition or even a regular race mid season is one thing but ending it there? What is up with that? :blink:
I do believe the World Championships were held in Acapulco Mexico for many years.. Unlimited Hydroplanes need a boost of sponsorship along with tons of media coverage to survive. FOOT NOTE the F-1 Champ Boats will race in Evansville the same weekend as Little Thunder ".
n F1 Champboats — These will replace boats which had run in the Thunder on the Ohio event during past Freedom Festivals. The event will be broadcast on the Speed Channel. Meanwhile the American Boat Racing Association plans to hold Thunder on the Ohio in August"

Last edited by a moderator:
The Evansville deal is not completely done yet. The Evansville organizers decided to hold a F-1 event during the freedom festival and did this behind the backs of the ABRA.

The ABRA going national will help bring the sport of unlimiteds back into the spotlight. and hopefully bring back some much needed sponsorship and TV coverage. You gotta go where the money is. I know I donate to Qatar's fine city of gold nearly every day at the pump. Maybe they will throw us a bone and televise it.

"I know I donate to Qatar's fine city of gold nearly every day at the pump. Maybe they will throw us a bone and televise it."

That's funny Wes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guy's the reason that the 2009 UIM World Championship Race (Final race for the year) is not in the US is because, Dohar, Qatar put a bid in for it. And it was accepted by the UIM. The UIM is the international sanctioning body for power boat racing. That final race is not a North American Championship, It is a World Championship.

I do believe the World Championships were held in Acapulco Mexico for many years.. Unlimited Hydroplanes need a boost of sponsorship along with tons of media coverage to survive. FOOT NOTE the F-1 Champ Boats will race in Evansville the same weekend as Little Thunder ".
n F1 Champboats — These will replace boats which had run in the Thunder on the Ohio event during past Freedom Festivals. The event will be broadcast on the Speed Channel. Meanwhile the American Boat Racing Association plans to hold Thunder on the Ohio in August"
yep, they did....i believe thats where we lost the greatest unlimited driver of all time (In my opinion) Bill Muncey.

yep, they did....i believe thats where we lost the greatest unlimited driver of all time (In my opinion) Bill Muncey.
I believe that was on Labor day weekend of that year. But I could be wrong. I was just pulling into a limited hydroplane pits with in WI when I was told of the accident. I will never forget that feeling. He was my Idol at the time. Note I was in my young teens then.

Guy's the reason that the 2009 UIM World Championship Race (Final race for the year) is not in the US is because, Dohar, Qatar put a bid in for it. And it was accepted by the UIM. The UIM is the international sanctioning body for power boat racing. That final race is not a North American Championship, It is a World Championship.
I think Don was talking about the ABRA not the UIM. And yes the ABRA is talking about changing their name because of this.

I think Don was talking about the ABRA not the UIM. And yes the ABRA is talking about changing their name because of this.
I see what Don is getting at.

Don, that is where the money is these days. Dubai is still growing rapidly while the rest of the world is financial crisis!

I believe that was on Labor day weekend of that year. But I could be wrong. I was just pulling into a limited hydroplane pits with in WI when I was told of the accident. I will never forget that feeling. He was my Idol at the time. Note I was in my young teens then.
October 18, 1981 he died............

October 18, 1981 he died............
I thought it was earlier in the fall. Thanks for the date.

Back