A/C models original sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

I have no questions on the quality and workmanship of Andy's hulls i have one and have seen a few .

I was just wondering, as i may have an opportunity for a new original vesion of his sport 40 and was wondering what it would run like with a .45 mac.

He now makes the sport 40 II with different sponsons which is suppose to corner better according to the a/c site as well as the owner of the boat.I do not doubt either

Just wondering if anyone here knows if the original version would be worth purchasing as a fun boat/fun racer or of it had any negative handling issues or build faults.

From my search on the dock i have heard it was hard to launch without the sponson mods.

I am going to try and reach andy at a/c but there is 4 hours difference in time from coast to coast.

I will try late tonight.

Thanks guys.

I have no questions on the quality and workmanship of Andy's hulls i have one and have seen a few .
I was just wondering, as i may have an opportunity for a new original vesion of his sport 40 and was wondering what it would run like with a .45 mac.

He now makes the sport 40 II with different sponsons which is suppose to corner better according to the a/c site as well as the owner of the boat.I do not doubt either

Just wondering if anyone here knows if the original version would be worth purchasing as a fun boat/fun racer or of it had any negative handling issues or build faults.

From my search on the dock i have heard it was hard to launch without the sponson mods.

I am going to try and reach andy at a/c but there is 4 hours difference in time from coast to coast.

I will try late tonight.

Thanks guys.

All I ever ran was the first version. Since me and Andy both came back from the Olympia nationals in 1990. The first version will work without sponson mods right out of the mold. What has to be done is trueing up of the sponson bottoms on either version for the best performance. That entails sanding the running surface nice and flat and then adding a 1/16" lexan ride pad to the bottom to sharpen up the edges. You will see 3-5 mph with this mod alone. The version one hulls were sensitive to launching but this was when Namba had the old drive dog placement rule. Once the rule was changed to allow the drivedog to extend past the transom 1 length the version one would launch the same as the pro II. I ran mine with a Mac 45 from 2002 and on. It was radared at 51-53 mph pretty consistant coming out of turn 4. I ran the octura X-646/3 with some cup added. Pipe at 10-3/8". Very good hull.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back