8806 1988 oberto hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't know the soruce of this photo, hopefully I'm not infringing somebody's copy right.

I'm buildig this boat right now, just fitting the cowl before carrying on with the deck etc.

88oberto1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Youre not selling it or anything :) how can I get more photos of this boat? That looks like a u-2 on the canards I was hoping for a U-1 so maybe im looking for a 1987. This boat is close tho. Like an atlas cowl in the back but enclosed cockpit up front.1988-89_U-2_OH_Boy_Oberto_Hull_8200_.jpg

A 1988 u-6 madison may be what im looking for :u-6 madison.jpg

Last edited:
If you're looking for an Open cockpit version then yes it's the 87 version you want. This version seems to have raced for 88/89 and maaaaaybe 1990.

That would the the third different graphic design for the tail verticals I've seen.

I don't know if it actually was the Atlas or a sister boat, hull is the same design apparently.

All the photos I have of this boat have it as the U2.

From what I understand the madison u-6 was to be a new hull but then they had to pull out the 78 hull coz the new hull wasnt ready to make the first race. Which is nice for me coz I wanted to find a closed cockpit design that would be realistic on the u-1 Pak hull. I really need more photos of this madison

Yes that 1988 Madison is a new boat all around it ran Allison engine before going to turbine. The old 78 pay n pak hull was named Mrs. Madison cause they were retiring that boat. That 88 hull did become an O boy Oberto in the 2000 till the new current boat. Bobs boat was the 1982 Atlas/squire in 88 Harvey put on a canopy. The Pay n pak that was the Madison never had a closed cockpit added.

Actually BB, that's not quite true.

The 7325 ran as the Pak for three seasons, taking the high points all three times. The boat was then sold to Bill Muncey as owner Dave Heerensburger decided to concentrate on racing horses. Muncey ran the boat as the U-76 Atlas for the 1976 season, resulting in the boats 4th consecutive high points crown. With the completion of the Atlas "Blue Blaster", Muncey leased the boat back to Heerensburger for the 1977 season, after which the Pak team was disbanded again. The boat was sold to Madison Indiana, replacing the relatively unsuccessful 7206 hull, prior to the 1978 season. The boat then ran under six different names over the next 11 seasons, ending it's career as the Holsett/Miss Madison part way through the 1988 season when the 8806 hull was deemed ready to race. The 8806 was badly damaged in it's second race when it was run over by John Prevost in the Circus in Seattle and again in San Diego when it and the Circus blew over, ending Ron Snyder's unlimited career and forcing the rental of the U-3 for the final race of the 1988 season. As already stated, the 8806 DID NOT RUN AS THE OBERTO until part way through the 2000 season, keeping the red, green and white colors until it was sold. The boat raced in the 2011 season, running as the U-22 for another team as the Matrix Systems

The picture that Bob posted is the 8200 hull from 1988 and 1989 after a partial rebuild by owner Jim Harvey to meet the requirements that all unlimited hydroplanes must have an enclosed cockpit prior to the 1989 season. This was another reason the former Pak was retired, it was not feasable to rework the boat to meet the new rule. Considering the length of the 7325's career, she was fortunate to be preserved after her retirement

I honestly don't know the soruce of this photo, hopefully I'm not infringing somebody's copy right.

I'm buildig this boat right now, just fitting the cowl before carrying on with the deck etc.
Bob do you mind posting your build?

Sure I've been doing build reports on this local forum here in NZ. http://forums.rcboats.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=843

Have been back onto it this week so need to update the progress report.

I've also put a few piccies on various posts I've made in thsi forum asking questions. Just have scroll back through my topics ....

confusing :GRAB_663.JPG

I assume the 8806 is the hull above? Or is this oberto the 8806?

All deemed 88 madison :huh:

I0000A5l7xAW4KQI.jpg

I0000LlHJag01ELs.jpg

Last edited:
Hugh the Oberto pictured is the 8200. It was never a Madison hull. They have only had 7 hulls in their entire existence. The 8200 was not one of them. The 8806 was the hull that Ron Snyder was driving that was involved in the double flip in San Diego that has been run a million times on ESPN over the years. I have been digging and I don't have any pics of it from 88 but as soon as I find some I will post.

88 and probably 89. It didn't really run at all through the early part of the 88 season. Then the flip happened in heat 1B and I'm pretty sure it didn't run again in 88 since the Las Vegas race was right after San Diego and that was it. I believe it had a cowl over the motor most of the time in 88 and 89. Mike Hanson took over as the driver in 89. It was basically the same configuration. I'll see if I can grab some stills of the video I have from those years.

Mike, not sure if you knew this or not but Ron Snyder SPLIT the driving duties in the 8806 with Mike Hansen in 1988. Mike Hansen was the only driver of the 8806 from 1989 until he left to drive for the U-9 team in 1999. Mike was also the driver when John Prevost ran the Circus across the back of the Madison in Seattle, trashing both uprights and damaging the wing. The boat was taken to Ron Jones shop for repairs before being taken to San Diego. For the Nevada race, Madison leased the almost equally new U-3 with Mitch Evans driving.

As for those pictures, the top one is an imaginary CG picture, the bottom are the already Identified 8200 and the third is the 7325 Pak hull wearing the colors it carried in one form or another from 1980 till it's retirement in 1988

If anyone can give me a clear answer to the hull number of the holset madison pictured above with the canopy It would be greatly appreciated. All the team histories just confuse me more :huh: .

Thanks Hugh

Yes HJ I am aware of it. Hugh the Holset Miss Madison from 88 on was the 8806. I could take you through all the changes and different configs of the boat but it's not necessary. I'm still trying to get you some screen grabs from the video. Haven't had much time with lots on my plate at the moment. BTW there is a pic of an RC of it on the RC Unlimiteds website.

Latest posts

Back