8700 Hull Configuration

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I am looking at the 8700 hull to build the Smokin Joes boat. The Phil Thomas hull on his site showsthe offset to the right side and on the RCBoatworks site, the SG118H hull has the offset to the left. Is there any difference? I have read on this site that the offset to the left allows for better weight distribution on the left sponson in the turns.

If you are looking at the boat from the transom the real boat has an offset left. Since we run opposite to the big boats you would theoretically want the offset to the right to get the benefit of more weight on the turn fin side. However I have seen a number of RC Boat Co hulls that run well with a left offset. The motor mounts are offset back to the right to center the motor. Depending on the degree of left offset you may need to add weight to te right side to counter cowl weight.

Thanks Mike. I'm waiting on a reply from Boatworks as to what mods are needed to make their SG118H hull into the Smookin Joes. I know the Thomas hull comes already set for it.

If you want to make the Joes the nontrips will need to be changed and the tiplets need to be changed to make the 94-95 boat. The 96 they are ok. Cockpit needs some mods too. I'm not sure what mods he will do himself but I think he does some. That hull with his motor mounts offset back to the right runs well.

I'll keep that in mind when I make my decision on hulls. I'm looking at the 94. Thats what Phils hull is designed for without mods.

Back