82/83 Atlas Van Lines plan differences

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

Hi Guys

Have just received plans from Roger Newton for the 82 Atlas van lines. Also have Don Mocks video's for the construction of the '83 atlas.

My question is this; There is a very distinct difference between the sponson designs on the newton plans I have compared to the model that Don Mock built in the videos. In particular the ride surfaces of the sponsons have a more distinct step and the chine detail seems quite different on the Mock boats. In loking through the various galleries for atlas Boats on intlwaters it seems that most people are using the Design with the more built up ride surfaces.

In the video he says that the plans he was using were done by Roland Desteese. I haven't been able to find any contact details for Roland desteese plans on the Net.

Does anybody know why the plans for what appear to be the same sponsons would be different from two different model designers? Am really curious about what people might know about these differences. Which is better the version as drawn on the Newton plans or the versions with more distinct ride surfaces?

Lastly the 82 atlas cowl is only shown on the paint diagram sheet. Does anybody know where I can get more distinct drawings for the 83 version of the cowl?

Cheers

Bob

Hi GuysHave just received plans from Roger Newton for the 82 Atlas van lines. Also have Don Mocks video's for the construction of the '83 atlas.

My question is this; There is a very distinct difference between the sponson designs on the newton plans I have compared to the model that Don Mock built in the videos. In particular the ride surfaces of the sponsons have a more distinct step and the chine detail seems quite different on the Mock boats. In loking through the various galleries for atlas Boats on intlwaters it seems that most people are using the Design with the more built up ride surfaces.

In the video he says that the plans he was using were done by Roland Desteese. I haven't been able to find any contact details for Roland desteese plans on the Net.

Does anybody know why the plans for what appear to be the same sponsons would be different from two different model designers? Am really curious about what people might know about these differences. Which is better the version as drawn on the Newton plans or the versions with more distinct ride surfaces?

Lastly the 82 atlas cowl is only shown on the paint diagram sheet. Does anybody know where I can get more distinct drawings for the 83 version of the cowl?

Cheers

Bob

Bob, to get the cowling for the 1983 boat, Contact Jerry Logan through the Unlimiteds NW website. The address is www.unlimitedsnw.org

Another option would be to order the color sheet for the 1984 Squire shop as it has the same cowling set up

I'll see if I have Roland or his brother Steve's number and see if he

1) will let me give it out

2) still sells plans for the boat

Other members of R/C Unlimiteds may have this information already, and if so, so much the better

Last edited by a moderator:
Roland quit doing plans many years ago. I doubt if he would be willing to put out any new ones, but I will find out next weekend for you.

By far your best bet would be to just contact Don Mock. There is no one who can give your more info on this boat than Don.

[email protected]

it might be easier to buy the 83 cowling,i bought mine from John Borland at Lonestar Boats.

Back