74 REd Man

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator 340

I purchased a Jones pickle fork hull from Troy MCintier probably two years ago now. Great looking hull and had no problem getting it. I plan on building the 74 Red Man turtle back?? not the high wing the red and white boat tribute to my dad who has chewed Red Man all my life. My question to all you scale goo roos is this. I know the boat is not populer do to fact of hideing the engine with the dummy motor. I need starting points ! I hear that the fly wheel needs to be at the back edge of the front sponcens. That puts the engine right in the gap between the front cock pit/driver and the dummy motor. I have also heard I could put the center of the engine / glow plug at that point. How far back can I place my engine so that the dummy motor is not directly behind the cockpit. Also I read on here the arguement /conterversy about radio placement. some say front some say any where but when I was at the namba nats in FT Laurderdale this year I noticed the winner of 60 scale Jack sanclair? had his feul tank in front. My main concern is engine placement when I get this figured out the rest of the build should come together I hope. I know there are alot of great scale guys on here that can help me out. So any suggestions and or responce will be greatly appreciated.

Well, think about the total package. What really matters is CG. This should be at the back third of the turn fin. Then put in the hardware loosely and if the motor can be back a bit, then it is ok. I PREFER to keep the motor case just forward of the rear edge of the sponson, but have seen the motor back further.

You gotta have more gear in front to make up for it, if the motor is back.

The front fuel tank is not my favorite, due to shifting weight during the race...the nose gets lighter at the end of the race.

CG is the key.

Brian

Well, think about the total package. What really matters is CG. This should be at the back third of the turn fin. Then put in the hardware loosely and if the motor can be back a bit, then it is ok. I PREFER to keep the motor case just forward of the rear edge of the sponson, but have seen the motor back further.

The front fuel tank is not my favorite, due to shifting weight during the race...the nose gets lighter at the end of the race.

CG is the key.

Brian
There are areas in the front of the sponcens that are hollow and I asked Troy about these and he said that they where for adding BB's for weight. Let me go ahead and ask the dumb question how do I find CG. do I mock the boat up with all the hardware and radio or do I tape on the cockpit and back cowling and find it then. Hate to sound stupid but hell I don't know. Right now I am still in the paint and sand portion of the build to fill any pin holes there might be.

Thanks for the help

CG is the key.

Brian
Engine selection also has a bearing,i got a mac67 all the way under the dummycarb and all. The cnb greenhead will let you move the dummy back farther. And if your using a Troy dummy you have more room than a Kreamer but i prefer the Kreamer....... Get all your parts together and just move them around but keep in mind the farther forward the better.......Mike GO REDMAN<mine is a tribute to Jim McCormick he lived just 30 miles away and i met him several times

CG is the key.

Brian
Engine selection also has a bearing,i got a mac67 all the way under the dummycarb and all. The cnb greenhead will let you move the dummy back farther. And if your using a Troy dummy you have more room than a Kreamer but i prefer the Kreamer....... Get all your parts together and just move them around but keep in mind the farther forward the better.......Mike GO REDMAN<mine is a tribute to Jim McCormick he lived just 30 miles away and i met him several times

I saw your boat in Tennessee Mike at the IMPBA nats GREAT looking boat that is why you won concorse as far as looks there was not a boat that could touch yours. I am going to run a gold head CMB that I got from Eric canto I plan on leaving the motor stock B) and yes it is a Troy dummy I do have that part of the build complete looks great.

CG is the key.

Brian
Set all the parts in place and get a rough idea where the cg is. Thats a start,when you know how close you are or can get write it down or make markings for the motor mount its the most important. Dont be afraid to have to add as much as a lb in ballast but i bet you wont need that much. I have a couple good shots of the boat your building i think and a awesome postcard i will send you pics if you pm me your email...Mike

I saw your boat in Tennessee Mike at the IMPBA nats GREAT looking boat that is why you won concorse as far as looks there was not a boat that could touch yours. I am going to run a gold head CMB that I got from Eric canto I plan on leaving the motor stock B) and yes it is a Troy dummy I do have that part of the build complete looks great.

Another question for you guys I have seen where there is a redman and a redman too witch boat is what.

Aha

I have the redman story right here.

Yes there were 2 redman hulls. SEe the APBA master hull roster...

Mike's 1973 roundnose Redman that u saw was the primary boat. U-8

They wanted a pickle.They bought the U-77 1971 Country Boy. It had lost a prop in 72 and the driver was killed. Ran in 1972 as the Walther Special

In 73 it was painted the same as the roundnose..and was U-81.Redman Too. It never ran well enough to replace the roundnose and was shelved. Later in 1974 the boat was made all red and no green, same striping set and wing removed. It tried to set a SAW record, but didn't. It was sold to the Owensboro team after that. Became "Owensboro's Own" . Ran until 1983 under various names.

Turbo Allison powered. Driven by Jim McCormick and George Henley. Built by Ron Jones.

APBA # 7132 was roundnose U-8 1973

APBA # 7177 your pickle U-81 1974

Send me an email regular for some pictures.

[email protected]

Brian

Aha

I have the redman story right here.

Yes there were 2 redman hulls. SEe the APBA master hull roster...

Mike's 1973 roundnose Redman that u saw was the primary boat. U-8

They wanted a pickle.They bought the U-77 1971 Country Boy. It had lost a prop in 72 and the driver was killed. Ran in 1972 as the Walther Special

In 73 it was painted the same as the roundnose..and was U-81.Redman Too. It never ran well enough to replace the roundnose and was shelved. Later in 1974 the boat was made all red and no green, same striping set and wing removed. It tried to set a SAW record, but didn't. It was sold to the Owensboro team after that. Became "Owensboro's Own" . Ran until 1983 under various names.

Turbo Allison powered. Driven by Jim McCormick and George Henley. Built by Ron Jones.

APBA # 7132 was roundnose U-8 1973

APBA # 7177 your pickle U-81 1974

Send me an email regular for some pictures.

[email protected]

Brian

I found out by doing some research on the boat trying to find some good pics about it being the country boy and about it killing a driver. But I was unaware of it be called the Owensboro's Own learn some thing new every day. :)

Tony Tony Tony.... just stick to Tunnels man.... this stuff is way to complicated for that small brain of yours... you need to hold on to what few brain cells you have left man. :D

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Tony Tony.... just stick to Tunnels man.... this stuff is way to complicated for that small brain of yours... you need to hold on to what few brain cells you have left man. :D

~James

Oh don't you worrie round boy I will not be reireing the tunnels I just figured Stan and Randy would like some one to race here in D 13. But you are right these boats are not as easy as strapping a motor on the back and start wining like the tunnels.

I had one of Paul Blicks old scales, a '88 Mr Pringles Hydro.... My head hurt just thinking about all of the work involved in getting that thing up to snuff to run with the scale boys.... then I though about what would happen if I was racing a driver of your caliber (crash derby guy) and I couldnt bring myself to do it.... so I traded it for a tunnel.

:D

even if you start scale racing, youre still allright in my book.. Also, If the Internats ends up being at Valdosta next year, start saving your pennies, cuz I am coming to Georgia and fully expect Team Double Trouble to be there.

~James

PS, if you guys have three drivers, why do you call it "Double Trouble" I think "little" Mitchell is probably gonna wise up to that pretty soon.....along with other obvious things. Triple Trouble could work I guess....

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of Paul Blicks old scales, a '88 Mr Pringles Hydro.... My head hurt just thinking about all of the work involved in getting that thing up to snuff to run with the scale boys.... then I though about what would happen if I was racing a driver of your caliber (crash derby guy) and I couldnt bring myself to do it.... so I traded it for a tunnel.

:D

even if you start scale racing, youre still allright in my book.. Also, If the Internats ends up being at Valdosta next year, start saving your pennies, cuz I am coming to Georgia and fully expect Team Double Trouble to be there.

~James

PS, if you guys have three drivers, why do you call it "Double Trouble" I think "little" Mitchell is probably gonna wise up to that pretty soon.....along with other obvious things. Triple Trouble could work I guess....

:ph34r:

For years it was just me and big brother {double trouble} but your right with lil mitch coming up through the ranks we are gonna have to change it to {Tripple Threat} and like I said earlier I will still be around to spank {Team oral exspress a boating club with a sucking problem} :eek: :p :lol: Thats funny I don't care who you are.

Back