4.8V Servos On 6V Nimh

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennard Cuenco

anyone have experience running the lower voltage 4.8v servos (s3115) on 6v niMh?

this is for steering/remote needle in a scale boat.....

Just got off Tower Hobbies website and they state: Running on 6V will shorten the life of the servo.

Why not just run a 4.8 volt pack? The new Futaba receivers will work at the 4.8 as easily as 6 and several of the servos have plenty of grunt to turn a scale boat.

thanks scott...I will check that BEC out

the futaba unit requires installation between the battery and receiver, which brings the entire system down to 5.2v

i'm trying to keep my steering 6v

How any 4.8 v servos do you have in the boat? I would just upgrade to 6 v & be done with it. Servos are MUCH easier to find at a race, rather than a voltage regulator should something fail!

Len, I'm not a whiz on anything with current running thru it so I use the KISS principle and the slight overkill theory on servos. HT 225 Metal or nylon gear on throttle and a 200oz servo on the rudder. 6V hump pack charged up to 7.1- 7.2 Volts. Non 3rd channel remote needle. No regulators. If a fail safe malfunctions it hits the trash can as fast as a hump pack that will not charge over 7V. No servo failures yet. If you cannot fit these servos in one of your scales I've seen smaller boxes built to house the steering servo only located closer to the back of the boat.

I have been running 6.6 volt LiFe Rec. packs for 4 years with Futaba analog servos with no problems.

Back