3.5 dumas hawk outrigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

aamick1971

well just would like to know if this would be a good starter outrigger for a beginner in hydro to see if i would like it? i love my tunnels but willily to try something new as i already have a 20 mono that sit in the spare bed room collecting dust.

allen

well just would like to know if this would be a good starter outrigger for a beginner in hydro to see if i would like it? i love my tunnels but willily to try something new as i already have a 20 mono that sit in the spare bed room collecting dust.

allen

Allen,

It would but call me on this. You have my home #.

John

allen
Hi Allen..

Just as John said, these are great starter outriggers, and if set up right, are very competitive. Gary Preusse at G&M Models has a set-up sheet and all of the correct hardware for this hull. I'll have to dig up his phone number for you because he's not on the puter. The main thing with these hulls is that you need to get the weight forward as much as possable. The radio and engine mostly. You want to gather all of your information before you glue your first piece of wood.

Hope this helps,

Steve Ball

Gary's number is (630)279-2451

Last edited by a moderator:
its a little more money but the ff21 is a much easier (and in my opinion better) build

p.s. dont tell gary i said that, he probably wont give me a discount anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen,

Steve is telling you something about the boat from experience. The original design is good, but both Gary and Steve have come up with mods that substantially improve the running characteristics of the boat and greatly increasing it's speed as well. Steve's mods are somewhat different from Gary. I can tell you that Steve's mods works exceptionally well. He came to our Charleston race about 6 years ago with his 20 Hawk and kicked everyone out the door big time. We were all amazed how well it handled and how fast it was. It drove like on rails and no one could touch him. It was due to his mods according to him and I do not doubt him for a second. Steve has built a bunch of them and experimented until he got it right. Not sure what he has since done but I know he does not go in reverse.

From past memory, Gary has his recommended mods available to those that get the boat from him. I may be wrong on that but I seem to recall it.

John

if you build a hawk make sure to use 1/8th inch balsa to reinforce any seams in the sponson skins. also every hawk i have seen (including gary's) has had the tub narrowed to fit an octura 3-30 motor mount. its not real difficult to do, it just requires cutting all the center section crossmembers down symetrically and making a new top skin. the front sponson clamps are very heavy. personally i just drilled them out to look like swiss cheese but im sure a machinist could trim even more excess fat. the turn fin and tf spar that come with the kit are not adequate. gary sells a turnfin and spar material that are more appropriate. he also cuts down the sponson outer edges diagnoly both f and r. this makes the sponsons 4 sided instead of 3 sided. it may be just for looks but i think it also affects aerodynamics a little. another tidbit is the dumas instructions are incorrect when it comes to rear sponson placement. they tell you to put the right rear sponson lower than the left, this is backwards. garys nephew has a web page that shows/tells the correct setup. do a google search and you can find it. as mentioned earlier keep weight as far foward as possible including radio gear. the dumas instructions show the rudder servo next to the transom. put it at the opposite end of the radio box.

also if you call Gary make sure to build some raport with him and he will be much more forthcoming with info (mention you saw him in the impba rule book under hall of fame, etc, etc) ive found he likes that :D . i can tell you his number 1 tip is build it light, light, light

my 2 cents

Here's the link to the web site in question, Jim Preusse's site that show the Hawk's setup.

Replace any wood that doesn't look good. If the sponson tops are made of balsa, replace them with lite ply. JD did a review of this boat years ago, I don't know if the magazine is still available yet though but I might have an extra copy.

Back