1978 Atlas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"will the PT hull 82U55 build a 1978 Atlas boat, maybe with a little mod's??"

Larcor69,

Atlas is the MHR 7701, Phil's 82U55 is the MHR 8255.

You are talking some really serious "little mods" to make an Atlas out of Phil's hull. It has a dropped hull centersection, and the sponson shapes are very dissimilar. MHR dimensions are quite similar with the exception of width: 7701 range is 18.00 - 22.00 inches, 8255 range is 19.24 - 23.51 inches. Cowls are also very dissimilar. Nothing is impossible, but this morph may not be reasonably achievable. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

will the PT hull 82U55 build a 1978 Atlas boat, maybe with a little mod's?? I want to match this pic's with that hull by Phill...
HA YEA what Bob said, the 82u55 is different hull in deck and width.

If you want the 78Atlas I am in the process of making a kit off my dist championship winning Atlas.

Where you find a pictue of it racing with no rear wing? Dont look right but could be an option if actually raced that way, not just damaged in a heat.

Anyone know about this cofiguation?

PHIL T

will the PT hull 82U55 build a 1978 Atlas boat, maybe with a little mod's?? I want to match this pic's with that hull by Phill...
HA YEA what Bob said, the 82u55 is different hull in deck and width.

If you want the 78Atlas I am in the process of making a kit off my dist championship winning Atlas.

Where you find a pictue of it racing with no rear wing? Dont look right but could be an option if actually raced that way, not just damaged in a heat.

Anyone know about this cofiguation?

PHIL T
I don't remember the race, but the boat was damaged and that's why it had no wing. On that boat the number was only on the wing and you needed to have the number on the boat to be legal. Hence the duct tape U-00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong Harry, but I think that was in Seattle? Don Mock would probably be the one to ask as he did that at Twin Lakes Park in Marysville WA several years ago after having the tail feathers damaged on his boat. Someone protested his running without a wing so duct tape was used to make the boat legal

Larcor you would be better off converting Karls old 83 to the 78.

Namba Hull #8200 to #7701 isn't as tough of a conversion. Fill in the canard area, new cowl and new paint. Esscencially what i did with my 81 U-00 started out as an 82 Dumas kit(#8200).

BTW, do you get out to the Tech Center on thurs nights with the Transom Twisters?

They havent been out there on a thursday for awhile, hope they plan something soon, I will be in saginaw sept.7th though, but there probably wont be enough scale's to run, I plan to keep the 83 an 83, I just want a lighter boat..lol, I have a newer exr I will have in the 83 Atlas for spencer I have the 83's hull dialed I think, just need some motor!!

Correct me if I'm wrong Harry, but I think that was in Seattle? Don Mock would probably be the one to ask as he did that at Twin Lakes Park in Marysville WA several years ago after having the tail feathers damaged on his boat. Someone protested his running without a wing so duct tape was used to make the boat legal
Well that is kind of the obvious answer. Any question, 77 Atlas and later and Don Mock is the logical choice for the correct info. He says the race was the 78 Gold Cup in Evansville, which of course, they won.

Back