1976 Dayton Hydroglobe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Advance_United

Some video from the 1976 Dayton Hydroglobe Unlimited race can be seen on the Dayton R/C Boat Club web site. Go to www.daytonrcboatclub.org and link to the video section. It's a big file but worth the wait. U-74 "Olympia Beer is clearly seen running wingless.

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

Great footage Bob!!!! Nice shots of the U-95 hull with a piston engine also!

Thanks

Steve Ball

Some video from the 1976 Dayton Hydroglobe Unlimited race can be seen on the Dayton R/C Boat Club web site. Go to www.daytonrcboatclub.org and link to the video section. It's a big file but worth the wait. U-74 "Olympia Beer is clearly seen running wingless.
Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

O man... fantastic
Thanks

Grim
That year we were on the backstretch, a little way down from turn 2. Eastwood Lake, aka Hydrobowl, is a gravel pit lake and was really too small for Unlimiteds. But...the up side was that the boats ran real close to the shore. You might have noticed that the clock was on the backstretch. That had to be done to make the race distance work out.

The final that year forever hooked me on the big boats. Muncey and Schumacher hooked up in one of the best races I've ever seen. They were dirt tracking through the turns and sliding out as close to the shore as they dare. Black exhaust pouring out of the Merlins, pounding like the hammers of h**l. Billy blew comming out of the last turn for the run to the flag...rats!

The other cool thing was Bangs and the Vernors. He got a way late start. The boat wouldn't corner worth crap but he would get the thing set on the straight and nail the button. I've never seen a boat accelerate so fast, till the Allison melted

Really good stuff!

Bob

O man... fantastic
Thanks

Grim
That year we were on the backstretch, a little way down from turn 2. Eastwood Lake, aka Hydrobowl, is a gravel pit lake and was really too small for Unlimiteds. But...the up side was that the boats ran real close to the shore. You might have noticed that the clock was on the backstretch. That had to be done to make the race distance work out.

The final that year forever hooked me on the big boats. Muncey and Schumacher hooked up in one of the best races I've ever seen. They were dirt tracking through the turns and sliding out as close to the shore as they dare. Black exhaust pouring out of the Merlins, pounding like the hammers of h**l. Billy blew comming out of the last turn for the run to the flag...rats!

The other cool thing was Bangs and the Vernors. He got a way late start. The boat wouldn't corner worth crap but he would get the thing set on the straight and nail the button. I've never seen a boat accelerate so fast, till the Allison melted

Really good stuff!

Bob
Thanks' for the video Bob, Still have the plans and photos you sent on the wingless Oly , also a velasco hull of the same style. Just haven't had time to build it yet. Kinda takes ya back in time. The first UL race I witnessed was in 1963 or 1964 at Lake Tahoe. The second was the Sacramento Cup at Folsom lake, CA around 1968. Just found the button- Adult $2.00 Admission. :lol: Thanks', Glenn

Back