1972 U-77 Walther Special pics?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early pickle fork. Started as the '71 country boy. MHR#7177. In '73 became the U-81 Redman Too.

Here you go.

Pay-n-Pak, Country Boy or Redman...I have always liked this hull, one my all time Faves!

hk_CountryBoy.jpgscan0011.jpgscan0015.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys. I'm trying to figure out if I can run it with the full cowl or if it need an exposed engine. Planning the winter FE build and I was hoping I could run it with the full cowl.

Looks to me like the V-12 is too tall to run with the full cowl. Something else I noticed is there are no cut outs in the cowl for the exhaust stacks so I'm seriously doubting the cowl was used on the water

The boat appears to be a bit of a mystery ship. I have another picture, of the what I believe is the same boat and cowl scan0118.jpg showing no exhaust cutouts as well. Perhaps the cowl was only used for trailering and parade purposes then removed in the pits. Just to muddy up the water a little more, the pictures of the boat I provided has the center cut out of the transom and the picture in your link has a traditional transom. Here is a model of the Walther Special with the two hemi configuration DSCF0017.jpgDSCF0018.jpg I don't know who the owner is, but I'm sure someone on IW will recognize him and get you his contact info.

Good Luck,

Scott

That's Jeff Campbell with one of his 1/10 electrics.

The mystery ships are the fun ones. Still digging. The blood lines on some of these are pretty cloudy.

Sounds like the U-77 has a similar mystery to the Notre Dame. It's a not too well known fact that the Notre Dame started out with a notched transom like what was shown for the U-77 in some of the posted pictures. Most build their models with a full flat transom even though the cowl is moved forward well over a foot from the transom

Hey Brian, Another obscure one. I have many other liveries of this hull,nothing with twin V-8s, and nada as Walter Special. Here is one of the hull running as U-77 Country Boy from Three Point Unlimited Hydroplane - Name Changes. And another DIW. I see nothing of it running with cowl on.

Who's Who shows:

1971 as U-77 Country Boy DNQ in Owensboro, DNF in DEtroit, DNS in Seattle, DNF inEugene,OR, and DNF in Dallas.

1972 also called Country Boy: DNF in Miami, DNF in Detroit, DNF in Madison.

The hull didn't accumulate any points either year, and is show as "Did Not Finish" in National High Points standings both years. Appears to be a "Pier Devil".

CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back