12v or 24 v to start an OPS .45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed.R

I'm getting ready to work on my starter box . I was wondering if I need 12v or 24v to start a OPS .45 . I would like to use my box for 12 v and 24 if needed . Keep the power panel in it use it like you normally would for my .21 OB then switch from diffrent lugs to go to 24v mode and also use the glow plug heater in both 12/24 .

Basiclly I would like to wire it in parallel and series if possible.

Hope I explanded it OK.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
oK , I just wasn't sure and this will be my first boat other than an tunnel. Thanks for the info.

Ed

Most engines .67 and smaller can be started with a 12 volt starter. There are some .67s, however, that are just too tight to use less than 24 volts

I start them all on 24v. I don't want to miss a heat because I could not get it fired. Has come in handy with mine and others boats.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Mike. I hav ehad an awful lot of racers come over and use my starter because for some reason they couldn't get theirs to work. It keeps it real simple.

Ed, I suggest making sure your box can have 2 starters plugged in at one time. Buy a standard one for the outboards and a 24 volt for the inboards. This will help you avoid missed heats due to trying to start an engine backwards.

I recall the 12v starters sometimes having trouble getting my OPS .45 started when it was still new and tight. I remember having to loosen the plug sometimes. Late last year I switched to 24 volts for my inboards. What a difference.

Ed,

24V for all inboards, from my 20's to my 90's. No plug has to be loosened. 12V for my OB. I connect the starter directly to the batteries. I fried one power panel at a race due to part failure in it and missed a heat. Never again.

John

I start all my motors with a standard Sullivan on 24 volts. You may need to just blip the starter on .21s if it's cold out but it works great. Another thing I learned from a great NAMBA Hall of Fame driver is to always run your starter the same direction for both inboards and outboards. Start your inboards over the front and you never have to change direction of your starter. It also keeps the cone from coming off if a big block kicks back at you. I can't tell you how many times I have seen guys miss a heat because they refuse to follow that simple suggestion and they had a switch in the wrong position and kept starting the motor backwards. At a big event like the Nationals I will bet you a beer that at least one person at that event will miss their heat because they have the starter running backwards or their conglomeration of switches and relays fails at a bad time. Keep it simple and run 24 volts and if you run outboards start your inboards over the front and it won't be you that helps me win a free beer.

I start all my motors with a standard Sullivan on 24 volts. You may need to just blip the starter on .21s if it's cold out but it works great. Another thing I learned from a great NAMBA Hall of Fame driver is to always run your starter the same direction for both inboards and outboards. Start your inboards over the front and you never have to change direction of your starter. It also keeps the cone from coming off if a big block kicks back at you. I can't tell you how many times I have seen guys miss a heat because they refuse to follow that simple suggestion and they had a switch in the wrong position and kept starting the motor backwards. At a big event like the Nationals I will bet you a beer that at least one person at that event will miss their heat because they have the starter running backwards or their conglomeration of switches and relays fails at a bad time. Keep it simple and run 24 volts and if you run outboards start your inboards over the front and it won't be you that helps me win a free beer.

Learned my lesson in Kalispell last year along with a couple others.

Bob :(

Hi all my new start box being built has a nifty high current rotary switch i found at the local electrical wholesalers , as im using 2 gel cells for the starter i have one position with the batterys in parallel for 12v ( for the 21 and 45) and with a flick of the switch i have them in series @24v too easy

Plus a seperate battery for the glow drive ..

Latest posts

Back