1/8th scale painters..............

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
In late December I re-acquired a scale hull that I had built and sold primered ready for paint. The previous owner had it painted as the 2012 Red Dot and while I like that particular boat it is way wrong in both paint and graphics lay out. For the many of you who know me I always paint my own stuff but it is becoming quite apparent that the rehab from the shoulder surgery is going to put me waaaay behind for this season in getting things ready. With that being said this goes out to the scale guys who don't paint their own stuff- who in the east coast region has the hot hand when it comes to prepping and shooting paint? The idea of not doing my own paint work is so foreign to me but I have to face reality in that I still have 3+ months of rehab and stripping/sanding is one of the motions I'm supposed to avoid for a while so I'm seriously considering farming this one out. You all know how picky I am when it comes to getting one "right" so if it was yours who would you send it to??
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you. But as you admitted how picky you are, keep in mind no one will paint it to the standards that you will. No one takes care of you like you. A phrase imparted to me by an old timer.

Have you considered running the hull as is for the season and plan to repaint after your rehab is complete?

I would offer to help myself but I am also busy with my fleet. Besides I am afraid that my work is not up to your standards LOL....

Scott

Scott has a point Don. I have seen your paintwork, and it is probably some of the best in the country. I would not even want to paint a scale for you as I know I cannot meet your personal paintwork quality. I think Scott's point about just running it for a bit like it is and when you have the ability, tear it down and do the paintwork then.

Mike

Don,

I talked to the folks at Custom Painted Vehiicles in SE Wisconsin a few years ago about painting my Miss Madison. Price was higher than I wanted to pay for all the tedious masking for all the colors, but I think their quality would be second to none.

Check out their website: http://www.cpvehicles.com/.

Otherwise, see if their is a custom paint shop near you.

Duke

Scott has a point Don. I have seen your paintwork, and it is probably some of the best in the country. I would not even want to paint a scale for you as I know I cannot meet your personal paintwork quality. I think Scott's point about just running it for a bit like it is and when you have the ability, tear it down and do the paintwork then.

Mike
Now Mike I've seen your paint work, don't sell yourself short my friend as I'd have no issues running something you've painted. Your biggest problem is you can't even buy yourself free time lately with how well your kits are selling. I will admit that I'm torn between staying with the Red Dot scheme and going back to what it originally was going to be be - the Albert Lee. Of course that would be the first race configuration before they turned it into the floating billboard.
default_tongue.png

Thanks Don. Yeah, busy is the word for sure. Just throw that sucker in the water and run it!

Dang Don, I didn't know you had surgery on your wing.... That's gotta be a maddening situation for a boater. Heal well man!

Don

I know a guy that can do it but he has to finish rehab first .

Unfortunately you have set the bar to high my friend.

Tim

Dang Don, I didn't know you had surgery on your wing.... That's gotta be a maddening situation for a boater. Heal well man!
Yeah man it's really put a hurtin' on my winter build season this year. Gotta give the wife a lot of credit for haulin' that big azz box in the house, down to the shop and unpacking it for me. The surgeon let me out of the sling this past Wed. but I'm not allowed to do squat yet, in his words lift nothing heavier than a cup of coffee with the right arm for the next few weeks. Rehab doesn't start until the 12th but the stretches they have me doing are already kickin' my butt. Gonna be a long road back from this one, probably late spring to early summer before they'll even let me start weight training again.
default_sad.png

May have a line on some help and I'll get with you on the graphics. Also did you get the flourescent orange in yet so I can fix the Elam tail feathers from where it got rear ended last fall.
default_mad.gif

I would say sell it to me and your frustration will go away but I already have one of your beauties and I can only run one at a time. Hang in there bro........I know it is killing you to not be able to work in the shop. If the cabin fever is at an all time high we can run a boat Saturday. Run electrics and bundle up.......if the ice is gone by then.

John

Back